Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

can some please relpy? need adivse urgently

Hi All, thanks in advance for any input. I have been diagnosed with cervical herniation c5-6 and 6-7. The current doctor I am dealing with (palm beach gdns) has recommended disc replacement and partial fusion. I am out on FLMA and am concerned about recovery time? I am reading so many horror stories re post op pain? I am already two weeks into flma. I cannot risk losing my job. Is it possible to have this type of surgery done and recover in 8 weeks to go back to work. I would so appreciate any input. worried and am in pain.

• Hi there, I personally haven't had that surgery done but everyone is different, so some may recover normally and some may have complications. Something to keep in mind is that many of the successful surgeries, you don't hear as much as the rest because those people tend to go back to their regular lives and may not need continued support.

Personally, I know of one guy who had a full fusion and was back working heavy construction after twelve weeks. So like I said its quite possible. The most important thing to remember is to follow your doctors orders to a T to help keep your recovery on track. I hope that has helped some and I'm sure other people will be along to give you some more opinions and advice. Good luck!
  • I just had my C6-C7 replacaed with an artificial disc August 30th. I had a 2 week check up and will have another at 4 weeks, then start physical therapy. I will most likely be released to work after that. Also keep in mind most people posting on forums are there because they ARE having issues and need help. Most people who have successful surgery are not going to scour the internet for pain or surgery forums because they are too busy getting back to life.When I first got diagnosed in July, (symptoms started mid-June and took about another 4 weeks of intense pain and having to travel to my old doctor in another state to get an MRI), I freaked out because of all the horror stories I read. Per my MRI I was diagnosed with herniations at C3-C4,C4-C5-C5-C6, and C6-C7 with nerve impingement and spinal cord compression. I freaked out, was scared of becoming a quadriplegic, it was rough. I went down to FL and saw two highly regarded Neurosurgeons, one at the Mayo clinic, and both agreed I only need C6-C7 replaced and the others weren't bad enough for surgery (yet), and one of them even told me the other three may be bulging and not herniated. One of the surgeons wanted to do the fusion surgery and the other artificial disc replacement. I did A LOT of research and opted for the artificial disc. I immediately had range of motion after the surgery which I was thankful for. My fear is the need for future surgeries because most insurance in America will pay for only one disc to be replaced. In Europe, especially Germany, they do multi-disc replacement all the time with no problems. But if I need further surgeries on other discs, they will most likely have to remove the artificial disc to fuse the other disc(s) together. So it will have been for nothing. My insurance is actually fighting paying for my surgery now. I had the surgery in Florida and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida approve ADR surgery but Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, who I have, consider ADR experminental so I have gotten about $30,000 in expenses the insurance company is refusing to pay. I have been out of work since June 19th and couldn't file FMLA because I hadn't quite been with company a year, just a few months shy of my 1 year, but my boss has been very cool holding open my job for me. So I have been out with no pay, trying to fight for my STD benefits now, and paying my monthly insurance premiums out of pocket because I CAN'T NOT have insurance, and hoping I can get back to work. My job is physically demanding and I am on my feet all day running a large retail store, I travel a lot, etc., so I worry with the three other discs if I am only going to make matters worse. SO, know you are not alone, I personally know 2 other people that had fusion surgery and disc replacement and both were back to work within 2 months. Unfortunately, you don't hear many success stories on the internet. Hang in there and get treatment ASAP so you can get back to work. They do thousands of these surgeries every year. You will be fine, just treat early to prevent permanent nerve damage!! I think after 6 months is when permanent damage starts setting in. Best of luck!!