Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Worried - Severe disc prolapse - Surgery is the only option and booked

davemulddavemul Posts: 1
edited 09/28/2013 - 7:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all.

I'm a 33 male, pretty fit and healthy. Probably a common scenario you've heard but I had quite bad sciatica for the past 7 months after injuring what I thought was a hamstring in the gym. A month or so ago the pain got 100% worse and I had an MRI scan (can I post the pic?) that showed a severe prolapsed lower disc (the lowest one on my left side)

After consultation with an Orth surgeon, surgery is booked for the 16th October (discectomy) I am also going to consult a neuro surgeon swell.

Im just pretty worried about the procedure and recovering / success. It's a major operation, my only / first major op in my life.

I'm trying to soak up all the info on this site but would just like to read words of advice from people who have been down the same road as I have.

I know it's a hot debate between Orth & Neuro. The Orth surgeon I have initially consulted seems a nice guy and says he has done hundreds if not a thousand of these surgeries and seems quite sincere that this op is 'straight forward' The hospital is close to home. I just feel as if I should at least hear what the neuro says?

Close hospital is *edit* in Maidstone and the Neuro will be *edit* hospital so a bit of a distance away.

Recovery wise, i'm a trader so can work from home on a laptop for as long as I need. I've always been active and fit and been a gym goer 3 times a week. Can I expect to return to this state in time?

thanks in advance

EDIT -Post edited by the Spine Health Moderation TeamPlease review the forum rules prior to posting at these links for more information.

• PaulPPaul Posts: 730
    edited 09/28/2013 - 5:28 PM
    re: ortho vs. neuro debate

I always tell people to diffuse the situation and have BOTH present for the surgery. I did!

Now, how prepared are you to hear difficult news about your disc and it's ability to handle gym visits?

I'm send you a pm with a link to helpful info. Look for it in your inbox. It is a ton of reading but worth it.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008