Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Annoying feet (parathesia) caused by something in my back (lower spines and si-joints)

Happy I found this forum. Although my problems are currently small compared to those of other people I read here, I hope you can help me a little bit further on my quest.

Last january I started developing numbness in both my little toes after taking up martial arts again. At first I thought it was due to my shoes or because of the cold weather. But when the months passed and the second and third toe on both of my feet began to feel numb I went to a physician. At first the physician didn't want to take action. When I developed other more severe numbness, pain and burning sensations across both of my feet he send me to a neurologist. The neurologist performed various blood tests and an EMG tests on me and concluded I he could not find any nerve damage (the hypothesis was that I had polyneuropathy) and he send me home.

After the neurologist I went to a physiotherapist. I had seen her while I was under treatment of the neurologist, but she wanted to wait for the conclusions of the neurologist before she really got to work. Along side the problems with my feet I had developed minor problems in my lower back (burning sensations) and I thought they might be the cause of my problems. She wasn't sure of that because only my feet hurt (and not other parts of my leg) and it was not the usual one leg, but two legs at a time. We started a core stability program which I am now running for several months.

Since then I learned two things. The first: The burns, numbness and pain, definitely start in my lower back. To be more precise: the lower spines and the SI-joint. I have burning sensations there and they increase with time. And the second: It doesn't seem to go away with exercise. Sitting or standing for to long makes the sensations more severe. Stretching and exercising the lower spines and the SI-joint offers relief for some time. And after a night of sleep I don't have problems at all for the first hour.

Current condition:
- Parathesia in both feet varying in severity
- Specific places on my feet (nerves) are dominant in severity
- Burning sensations in lower spines and SI-joint
- Stretching and exercising the lower back and SI-joints reliefs
- Sitting down to long and standing to long increase the problems

The flexibility of my spine is mostly OK. I don't have problems doing heavy tasks like taking skiing lessons or martial arts practice. But the annoying feelings in my feet and lower back are driving me crazy.

Anyone with experience or knowledge in this same area: parathesia in both feet which seems to originate in the lower back and SI-joint?

Would be really happy if you can help me out!

• Hi

Mine started with the big toe, then spread to the other toes-top of foot- ankke, calf, to butt

Yup, you certainly have low back problems

Need an MRI ASAP, try to stop the numbness from traveling even if you end up needing back surgery

I have foot drop and trip on my toes and foot
    It can get worse

Go to a neurosurgeon or ortho surgeon specialuzing who specializes in spine disirders ASAP

God bless and hugs
  • autistoaautisto Posts: 9
    edited 09/29/2013 - 10:29 AM
    I used to have numbness in my toes, and nasty sciatica, back pain and any other pain you can imagine from head to toe. Martial arts and other exercises make it worse because they strengthen muscles that are already too strong, like legs and back. It's the neglected muscles in your core that are making your hip come unglued and unstable. Muscle imbalances cause our bones to get pushed out of their natural alignment. This in turn puts pressure on the nerves that run between them. This is why chiropractors help. They adjust the bones back into their natural alignment, however that doesn't address the real problem - muscle imbalances - and why people always find themselves back in the chiropractor's office.
  • DennisDDennis Posts: 3
    edited 09/30/2013 - 10:21 AM
    Thanx Rose! I go to my general practitioner tomorrow and see if i can get a referral from him for an MRI.

I hope Autisto is right although! The neglected muscles in the core sound like me... I am currently training them using a training mat and a Swiss ball. Only pretty annoying that my symptoms don't lessen after months of training...

Probably play safe and follow both routes!
  • Dennis
    Could you be pushing yourself to hard my friend?
    Beside strengthening the muscles, you could be" moving" vertebrae and discs the wrong way
    Everything has to heal INSIDE, from INSIDE OUT , and it could take a year or mire, for nerve endings especially
    Just my thoughts
This discussion has been closed.