Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Massage Chairs??

TarenTTaren Posts: 525
edited 09/29/2013 - 6:57 PM in Exercise and Rehab
If this has already been posted and discussed, at some point, then I apologize. Just wondering if anyone owns a massage chair? If so what kind and do you benefit from it? My dad had one in the 80's but it didnt feel good at all. Seems all it did was vibrate and 3 different speeds. There was no feeling of a massage from it at all. I believe it also heated up. I'm seriously considering going to check some out but wanted to get a few opinions from some people that already own one. Also, what is a good brand? I would imagine some are better than others. Oh and prices too, if you don't mind me asking?

• Fits in recliner. I feel like a noodle when I get out of it.

It was given to me so don't know what they cost.

I like it very much. It helps.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    My neighbor had one and I tried it out several times. It vibrated, gave some heat and at times the 'massage' was uncomfortable.

But that is only my opinion.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Helen, does it have a brand on it anywhere? If it does I can look on up. Lol, sounds like it does a good job if you come out of it feeling like a noodle, it must really loosen you up!!

Ron, that is exactly how my dads felt-wasnt relaxing at all, especially the massage part of it. I was hoping that the manufacturers had developed a better one by now.
  • Massage silk quilted mat... it is not the kind with big roller things in it. Had one of those an it hurt. Gave it away..

On the box she laying in floor or something, she's flat. I have mine in recliner.
  • But can't figure out how to do it! You can tell I'm a high tech red neck!! Lol! Its got massage in big letters. But again its a gentle sort of vibration. Not really massage I guess.

It says massage tho. Just don't get one with the roller things in them. They are not comfortable at all.
  • I'm borrowing a massage chair pad that goes on a couch/chair from my grandfather. I'm using it right now actually. It has a massaging thing that goes up and down your spine while a the seat vibrates (optional). It feels good. I like it a lot.
  • I used to take a massage pad to work and leave it on all day. There were about 8 different settings and it had heat as well. Just needed to be plugged in. Could move it to any chair, had one at home as well. It was really inexpensive - $30 -$50 or about that much. Also made me remember my posture, cause if I didn't sit up straight I didn't get massaged.

As Helen said if your spine is really bad there are super expensive ones that I was given as a present, but the massage was too strong, it had the big roller things in it and hurt like poking yourself with a metal spoon (thanks for that expression Rob). Think they are meant for super fit people, had to take it back. The ones I have now are gentle but do your whole spine or you can set it to do only one area.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    some of those massage chairs have setting that are so intense, it will hurt you more than help you
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • greggvaggreggva Posts: 99
    edited 01/21/2014 - 2:44 PM
    Had a Homedics shiatsu one with roller and kneading and the seat vibrated. You could choose a spot that you wanted it to work on and other settings. I think we paid about $100 for it on sale from a big box discount store (Costco). It went in a chair and then you leaned back on it. I think it worked really well except that I am 6 feet tall and it never really went high enough for me.

We had it for years until a lightning storm came through and a power surge killed it. So make sure you unplug it when not in use!
    C7-T1 ACDF 12Dec2013
This discussion has been closed.