Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Groin Pain

Does anyone suffer with groin pain and problems sitting? I am told I have nerve compression of the sciatic nerve also a narrowing of the canal with compression in the lateral recesses. Groin and inner thigh pain is causing me the biggest problem at present making it worse when sitting. I have intolerance to Gabapentin/Lyrica but amitriptyline doesn't seem to be helping.

• KarenDKKarenD Posts: 742
    edited 09/30/2013 - 2:45 PM
    Hi Kristy.
    I have groin pain and inner thigh pain which I'm having treated as myofacial pain. The fascia is a covering over the muscles and is supposed to be smooth and slippery. It can be affected by inflammation and trauma and result in diffuse or referred pain. You can ask your doctor about it.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • KirstyKKirsty Posts: 15
    edited 10/01/2013 - 3:06 AM
    Thanks Karen, it is driving me nuts, will mention this to my GP on next visit.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    Since I have had a total hip replacement (2011) and am having the other replaced later this month, I've watch how some doctors distinguish between back/groin/hip problems.

Of course, I can't reproduce their tests, but between sitting up on a exam table and laying down, the way the move your leg in a bent position, they can more or less pinpoint the problem to the back or hip.

I was gong to physical therapy for almost 13 months attempting to treat , what we considered was a groin pull. Eventually, some one figured it wasn't my groin at all. It was the arthritis in my hip causing all the pain.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • accompanied by increasing numbness and tingling, decreased sensation in the inner thighs, buttocks, or genital area? What about differences in your ability to empty your bladder or bowels? If these symptoms apply, you need to call your surgeon right away for evaluation. Those symptoms together can signal a medical emergency, so you really need to discuss all of the symptoms with your doctor right away.
  • KirstyKKirsty Posts: 15
    edited 10/03/2013 - 3:34 AM
    I have osteoarthritis in some of my joints and when I had a physio examination there was stiffness and a crunching sound with internal rotation of hip/SI joint. I do feel I have slight reduction in sensitivity in left buttock/genital area but no change in bladder/bowel. I will make an appointment to see my doctor just to err on the side of caution.
  • Good luck, let us know how you make out.........
  • I am an hip expert here
    I have had 10 hip surgeries since age 9 , both hips involved
    Groin pain is a red flag for possible hip problems

Please get your hip xrayed

• patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
    I've had hip pain associated with lower back pain, testicular pain and knee pain over the last ten years at least. The pain has picked up lately and I sometimes have difficulty sleeping because of it. Small sharp movement tend to induce the pain during regular activities. Should I really worry about it?
  • Dont worry, just get a hip xray
    Then you will know for sure and hopefully rule out hip problems and then concentrste on your spine
  • Thanks all, I have made an appointment to see my GP to get it checked out.
This discussion has been closed.