Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck injury affecting airway?

Hi all,

I am new here. I have been dealing with what I will call a "fullness" feeling in my neck since last March. A swollen feeling. Originally I was treated for a sinus infection bc I had a lot of congestion. When that did not clear I was sent to an ENT who has done a barium esophagram, a sinus ct scan and an allergy panel. The esophagram was for reflux which he thought I originally had due to redness in throat and postnasal drip and throat clearing. I was treated for one month with Prilosec and it did not help. I have been on nose sprays and OTC allergy meds. I started wheezing slightly at night which seems to end if I clear my throat. I have told all docs that my airway feels like it's cutting off if I bend my neck over....like when using an ipad or cell phone. I have a terrible habit of falling asleep on couch in a position that my husband says looks painful. My question to all of you is....do you think I should see an orthopedist? Could a bent neck cause airway problems? I feel like it's something structural and not allergies....even though I came up allergic mildly o many things. In addition, I got a dog about a year go and I swear she has pulled my neck out of alignment by pulling on walks. I am a 42 year old woman, not a nutcase. Just trying to solve this worrisome mystery. I've already spent thousands. Also, I've been scoped rice and they found nothing that way either. Thanks.

• Yes , it is possible and since you can't find any other reason for your symptoms, it might be worthwhile to see if in fact, it is a mechanical problem with the position of your neck.
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Spine-Health contains detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal conditions and treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some links you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/spinehealth, Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/ , and Twitter @SpineHealth.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to contact any one of the moderators on my team:

• patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
    edited 10/01/2013 - 4:53 PM
    I don't know about your situation, but my complex case that required a two stage surgery that totalled 18 hours on the operation table is the reason why I always feel like I'm gonna choke on my own saliva. During the surgery my surgeon also recognized that I had breathing difficulties. Unfortunately, the damage was already done and I am still having problems that are driving me nuts. I have lots of difficulty sleeping at night because of it. I hope they can do something for you before it's too late. I am still looking for solutions. I cannot believe that I'm gonna be like that for the rest of my life.
    Good luck and take care!
  • Well, Had the surgery one week ago and prior to the pain no pain in the right shoulder or arm. Now lots of pain on right side shoulder and arm. The doc says that it is normal as my spinal cord was squeezed to half it's size for a long time, so this is normal. Well I hope the new normal goes back to my older norm no pain on that right side makes it hard to hold a pistol for shooting. Over all it is safer as my spine is clear for a while of the stress put on it.
    Life is Short enjoy It While You can, because all to soon it is gone!