Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Walk or don't walk......

Anyone experience overwhelming pain after a nice long walk?? I could walk for miles and feel ok doing it. The problem starts after I come inside and sit down for a few minutes, the second I try to get up I can feel it starting. I am barely able to walk to the kitchen at this point. Both my heels hurt so bad I could cry. My legs will end up aching very badly and my lower back will have me in excruciating pain. Why dont I feel all this while I'm walking? Why does it start after I have sit down for a few minutes? Also, about 5-10 minutes into my walk, every time, I will feel tingly kinda numb feeling starting from about mid-shin down into my foot and my right toe will get numb. I have tried different brands of walking shoes and gel inserts with the same results. I have tried walking while using my TENS-unit. The surface I walk on makes no difference. I end up very miserable after a walk. I thought walking was good for us after all it is exercise, we are taught from an early age that we are supposed to exercise everyday. But it shouldn't hurt this much. The pain from one evening of walking can be so bad that it will keep me up all night with little to no sleep until the next day. I usually end up soaking in a hot tub of water with Epsoms salt/baking soda trying to get relief---I haven't take a walk in 4 days because of the pain that follows. This evening I went to a dept. store w/daughter to look for her some shirts, I walked around probably for about an hour with her and by the time I got home I could barely get out of my truck cuz I was hurting so badly--same symptoms, excruciating heel pain, really bad aching legs, couldnt stand straight up cuz it was more comfortable to lean forward, same tingly mid-shin down to foot. Has anyone had this kind of pain after a walk? Any idea what could be causing this? This has been going on for the last 4-5 months. Should I just give up walking???

• Does the pain ease after you lean forward? The reason that I ask is that stenosis can cause the tingly kind of feelings you describe, and then for me, once I sit afterward, it can cause the pain part of it to hit , especially when I try to stand or walk afterward......leaning forward or pushing a cart through a store helps to ease it some because the canal is flexed and it opens the narrow space in the canal,,,,
  • Walking is good, it moves a lot of things around and promotes blood flow/oxygen to the spine. Do you stretch before and after your walk? If you have a yoga mat, when you get home, lie down and do gentle stretches with your legs, before you sit. I had to do this when I was pregnant. When you sit your blood pressure is different when walking, and you may just need to relax with stretches before you sit. Do you have compression socks? they might help with the numbness & tingling. Hope you feel better.
  • stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
    edited 10/02/2013 - 10:05 AM
    Who can get down on the floor?

I chuckled to myself when i read this, felt sorry for myself and then thought

Its wonderful you can do that, really and truly

Jealous Rose.
    edited 10/02/2013 - 10:09 AM
    I hurt more or have more numbness with ANY activity and am 7 weeks post-op
    Even walking, byt its suppose to be good for us and build stregnth in our back muscles and legs
    so I do it anyway.....

Besides, getting outside and feeling the fresh air blowing on my face is such a blessing and makes me emotionally happy

• My doctor about walking. He all about it, yes I need to walk but he says don't over do it....? I can't walk far as it is an felt I was making myself worse or hurt more trying to walk.

So...I walk as much as I can. But hurting from it. Not sure what is enough or how much to push.

Definitely can walk a mile! Lol!
    edited 10/02/2013 - 12:17 PM
    You are doing GREAT!

I will pray that you can soon walk 2 miles very soon

Rose ( Feeling a little envious) LOL
  • AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
    edited 10/02/2013 - 2:40 PM
    It is easier getting down than getting up, and neither maneuver is pretty
  • That's pose to say I can't walk a mile!!!! Sorry. I can barely get around the yard.
  • Sandi, yes, I have found that leaning forward does help ease the back pain a bit. I usually end up pushing the shopping cart in a store so I can lean against it too. I have often said that I could get around a bit better if I could walk around bent forward all the time. Now, if only the leaning forward would ease the leg, hip and heel pain as well I would be in business.

Necksoup, I do have stretches that I do 2 times a day not necessarily immediately before or after my walk. If I get my nerve up to walk tomorrow I am going to do them just before and immediately afterwards to see if it makes any kind of difference....I so hope it does because I love & miss my walks. I do have compression socks, when I use them they do not make a difference in the numbness and tingling in my legs and feet but they do seem to help with the bad achey feeling I get. In fact I like to wear those tight black spandex leggings you can get at walmart as much as I can because the tight feeling on my legs feels good--I even made the comment the other day that sometimes I think I'm gonna wrap my legs & feet as tight as I could with saran wrap and see if it would help any--then I was informed that it could get a bit sweaty!

StenosisRose, I'm sorry you cant get down in the floor (yet) but you will eventually. Like necksoup said getting down is alot prettier than trying to get back up, its the same sight here lol. Rose, I agree going outside in the fresh air and feeling the sun does wonders for ones psyche. I can be having a depressing day and once I go outside it leaves the second I feel the sun and air..

Helen3, eventually that 1 mile will happen for u :-)
  • You made me laugh with your O NO ! HELEN

So you cant walk a mile, maybe someday soon we will be able to walk that me together

Taren, the thought of getting onto and off of that yoga mat and then walking a mile is a wish for me and a goal
  • Sometimes I'm so focused on the pain or not to make more pain for myself...

It is good to laugh. It is the best medicine..
  • Rose,Helen & necksoup maybe if we all got together, as a group, with our yoga mats & did the stretches?? Then afterwards, possibly, we would be able to encourage each other to walk that mile--who knows we may enjoy the comradery (sp) so much that we walk beyond a mile!! Necksoup and I will supply the compression socks, I have the ones that go all the way up to the thigh, if you want the ones that just come to the knee you may have to purchase those yourself :-) it appears you can get them in different colors and styles, even get the ones that come all the way up like panty hose (I did not know this) men can even get them with built in boxer shorts (I certainly did not know this.)

Anyway I will be gone for a few days, after tonight. I will be gone to look for us a drill instructor cuz I think we will need one to push us to do all those stretches & then walk for that mile or beyond afterwards...