Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

16 Years Old/I Can't Live Like This Anymore

RafiRRafi Posts: 2
edited 10/06/2013 - 8:28 PM in Chronic Pain
Hi there. I'm a male and I'm 16 years old. I've been dealing with so much pain everyday for over a year now and I don't know what to do anymore and I wanna share my story to see if anyone has any suggestions. So, it all started about a little over a year ago. I would always get headaches like every other day and I was used it it mostly because it was from dehydration and spending too much time on the computer and all that. But after that, I've started getting aches in the bottom-back of my head (the base). It was unusual because I've never got headaches there but I thought it would be a one-time thing and would go away. It wen't away the next day but came back after that, just like my normal headaches, they'd come and go every other day. It started progressing to me getting these aches in the back of my head everyday even without my normal headache. I noticed every time I turned my head in any direction, I would hear cracks and pops in the back of my head/neck area and it felt like it released all this pressure/tension when I did it for literally 1 second and then the pain would come back. After that, it slowly progressed to other parts of my body. First my neck, then my shoulders, arms, fingers, spine, legs, pretty much every single joint in my body, and this isn't just like a pain where you crack your neck and it's gone, it is ALWAYS there and the base of my head/neck, fingers, knees and other joints crack/pop probably over 100 times a day whether it's just by me stretching or simply by me turning my head around.

I've finally convinced my mom to take my to our family doctor and he said he didn't know what was going on so he made me get x-rays and those showed up fine so he told me to go see a neurologist. The appointment wait took about 3 months until I finally got to see the neuro. I told him everything I said above and he told me he wants me to get an MRI scan to make sure I don't have something bad and then to come back to him. The waiting line for an MRI scan is also 3 months and then another 2 months to go back to my neurologist to show him my results. My appointment for the MRI is in 1 month now and neurologist is 2 months now and I literally feel like I cannot wait any longer. I've tried contacting them and get an earlier date but they have no room.

This pain is LITERALLY taking over my life. I can't do any normal things a 16 year old boy is supposed to do- rather I can't do anything a normal human can do! When I go shopping now with friends/family, after 2 hours, my head feels lightweight, my shoulders feel like they have 20 pound bricks on both sides weighing my down, and my legs feel like they are going to collapse. I literally wake up with pain all over my body (worst at the back of my head, where this all started from) and experience it throughout the whole day. I changed the way I sleep, got a therapeutic pillow, changed my posture in how I walk, sit, I literally tried EVERYTHING, but nothing works. I started even going to sleep early and catch myself just laying in bed for 3-4 hours literally aching in pain. I can't focus in school, I can't do anything. It's making me so depressed that I literally cry every day. Please help me, I can't live like this anymore.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • AlsmomAAlsmom Posts: 32
    edited 10/07/2013 - 7:29 AM
    Welcome, sorry u r having such a tough time.Sounds horrible. So, if I was ur Mom, or even u- I would call the neuro and say u need to speak to him/her on the phone...try to be polite and firm but insist the MRI and follow up happen sooner. Say u cannot bear the pain and anxiety of 3 more months wait. Doctor has ability ( do u live in USA?) to make it happen tomorrow! U and ur mom/dad can insist on speaking to doc. Be a "pest". For sure the anxiety of waiting only makes everything worse. Good luck. Chances r this wont be easy but they will move ur appt. if u persist. Twice a day calls at least till u speak to doctor. He should call u. Good luck. Alsmom. PS Rafi, of course due to your age u will need a parent to be ur squeaky wheel..call the doc etc. good luck, I believe u will get ur appts moved up!
  • Since you are 16, have your mom call the neurosurgeon back and see if he can move the appointment up by a couple of weeks since the MRI is in a month. They may be able to change it to a few days after the MRI is done for you. Also she can ask them to put you on the cancelation list, so if someone has an appointment and doesn't come to it, they can contact you to see if you want to come in.
    The surgeon can call the MRI location and so can your parents and ask them to contact you if someone cancels their appointment. It might be last minute notice but if your parents can get you there, it might work.
    I'm sorry that you are having so much pain and difficulty......hopefully the MRI will give them the answers you need so that you can start feeling much better.
  • Charmed Life 13CCharmed Life 13 Posts: 5
    edited 10/18/2013 - 9:14 AM
    Sorry to hear this. I did bad damage to a disc and lost feeling in both legs, had trouble, standing, sitting, walking, basically anything but lying on my side completely still trying to breathe as shallowly as possible....My primary care physician gave me the best advice ever. After a bad experience with a Neurosurgeon on initial visit, she said to find out where you want to get treated (In my case it was Johns Hopkins) and go thru their ER. I tried to get into their system the proper way but after waiting literally 5 weeks without even an initial consult date, we went to the ER...I was operated on within 18hrs. Not sure if this is something you could do but if it's a possibility and you are in that much pain and it is disrupting your life this much I would say do it! Its the best thing I ever did for myself.