Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Med

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 12/09/2013 - 3:56 PM in Pain Management
Well I just took my new med, and after researching the site, a lot of people say it is good, but I will feel groggy in the am, and may feel irritated during the day. This makes me laugh, because this is already how I feel. It is suppose to help with mood and nerve pain. I am hoping it does, It also is suppose to help me sleep, that would be wonderful, that is why I feel so groggy in the am, awake half the night. I might miss being a night owl if it works, Nite, nite

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    what is this new med?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
    edited 10/08/2013 - 8:00 AM
    I went to look up how to spell it correctly and forgot to put it in the message, amitriptylene.
    Slept 11 hours, 1-730, 830-1, had to get up and get my son ready for school or I would have slept 12.
    Still tired, a little slow, but feel OK
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    Amitriptylene (Elavil) is used effectively to treat depression and as an aid for Sleeping and somewhat for pain.

I've used

Nortriptyline (Pamelor) is also used to treat depression and aid in sleep. One extra benefit from this is to help in pain control.

Over the years, I've had a tough time determinng the major differences between these two medications. My doctor tells me that the Nortriptlyine is used more for the pain and sleep aid than Amitriptyline is. Eith one can help can also make you real tired and drowsy the following day. I was using 30 mg of Notriptlyine before going to bed. Sure, I slept great, but I would have several 'real' tired spells the following day. I am now using 10mg at night and I dont have the tired feeling the next day.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • edpharmdeedpharmd Posts: 19
    edited 10/17/2013 - 4:13 PM
    Amitriptyline is an antidepressant which is also used for pain syndromes and to prevent migraine headaches. Its major downfalls are sedation (which is why it is taken at bedtime) and a hang-over feeling the next day. Have you talked to your doctor about the sleepiness? Nortriptyline is related to amitriptyline, like dilauro stated, but it seems to cause less daytime drowsiness and is possibly more effective for pain. Whatever you choise to take needs to be something that works for you! You will eventually adjust to some of the daytime effects, although constipation, dry mouth and blurred vision will probably remain-so don't take it and drive!
  • I have been on it for 2 months. I take 50mg at bedtime to help me sleep at first it made me sleep for 12+ hours. After a week or so it didn't make me sleep as long but it really does help me get some much needed rest.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • Helen3Helen3 Posts: 205
    edited 11/12/2013 - 7:20 PM
    That before, but don't like it. Makes me have palpitations... Then tried Trazadone, but it makes me have night mares. Weird dreams.

• You need to take Amitryptaline about 4 hours before you want to sleep. 50mgs is a strong dose to start. It took me about 4 years to go to 50mgs, don't know why my Dr increased it 'cause 25mgs was still working OK. I didn't think it was working but now feel more pain in the morning if I don't take it. Maybe you could ask to cut it back to 25mgs. It took about 2 weeks to start working for me.
  • midnight11mmidnight11 Posts: 8
    edited 11/24/2013 - 7:15 AM
    Tricyclics are often used for sedation and sleep nowadays, but rarely are prescribed at dosages that would be used for treating depression. If you feel you'd benefit from an antidepressant and don't like the drowsiness the Amitryptaline is causing, speak to your doctor about SSRI's like sertraline, but if not, stick to the tricyclics. The sedation will not be as dramatic after you've been taking it for a couple weeks, so I'd say give it a while before trying to switch to something else.
  • every med have its side effect soo you can use it rare.