Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally some good news!!!

I got a phone call from my pension company today and my medical retirement was approved!!!! I couldn't help but cry when I called my wife to tell her. It's hard for some people to understand the magnitude of something like this unless they've been through it as well. Who would have known back in 2007 when I had back surgery that my future would work out like this.

I should be able to also keep my job since I'm now administrative and not response oriented. The retirement will be based on the fact I cannot practice in the field any longer due to the continuing problems I am having plus the medication I'm taking.

Then, the 2nd wave of good news came through. My oldest son scored a 25 on his ACT test! Since he is an Eagle Scout and got a 25 (plus has a 3.5 GPA) he is eligible for a full ride scholarship at the University of Louisville!

Let's just hope all this doesn't come crashing down for some reason!!

Thanks for listening!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2

• That is awesome Keith. So happy for you and I know you are one proud daddy :) so nice to hear good news once in awhile :)
  • So very happy to hear you have good things coming your way!

48 year old freight handler. Bilateral foraminotomy, decompression of nerve roots and reduction of spondylolisthesis at L4-5 with open PILF and autogenous bone graft from left hip - June 13, 2013
  • EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 920
    edited 10/09/2013 - 2:25 PM
    I appreciate the comments. Today my back reminded me of why I am getting the medical retirement. Out of the clear blue it felt like I was getting stabbed in my lower back right over L5 where one of the screws are located. Every time I step, it stab's me. I typically have to go in for another round of facet joint injections when this happens. I guess I've caused some irritation in the joint and now it's paying me back...lovely!

On the flip side...it's Hump Day!!!!!

• What blessings for you and your family.
    We all love to hear great news
    Congratulations and God bless
    Rose. Smiling and joyful!

• I don't understand the medical retirement while working thing... I'm just confused by that, how does that work? In my head I'm thinking you had job A but you can't do that anymore so now you are dong job B that makes less money so you are getting medical retirement while you work to make up the difference? I'd just like to know how that works if you don't mind sharing.

Glad you got some good news, hopefully this next flare up will end quickly for you. Best of luck with the facet join injections.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • susabellssusabell Posts: 238
    edited 10/09/2013 - 5:14 PM
    EMS guy that is wonderful. My husband was a fire fighter/medic. He caught a virus on ambulance and it attacked his heart. He was considered a liability and luckily got his Nursing degree. Left firehouse and found a workmanship comp company and only RN's could take the calls. He worked at home for 14 years, he became very ill last November another virus and this time it was way worse, he needed a heart transplant ASAP & on 2/13/13 I lost him. Life is short live everyday as if it where your last. I miss him so very much!!!

Are you still taking the Opana ER??? I am again so happy for You & Your Family!!! Stay as healthy as you can.
    Did not mean to change the subject, they had no administrative job for him.

Keep us updated on how you are doing!

ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • I am so sorry for you loss. I cant imagine your loss at such a young age. My husband had sudden cardiac arrest at age 51 while camping with my son who was able to perform cpr and brought him back to us. He had quad by -pass on Feb 24, 2011 but is doing well so far. It is hard living with heart disease and never knowing when something could happen. I admire your courage and will pray for you and your family.

• The physical restrictions and medicine I take are not compatible with working in the field as an EMT. Essentially, I can no longer practice as an EMT. I was hired to be an EMT in the field and I can no longer do that. So, I will receive my retirement for that and still work an office job. I am not working for the same company that I worked for in the field. So, essentially I've become an office jockey, but doing it for a health care company.

I will not be applying for SSDI. If I did that, then I could not work again. I still have the capacity to work and don't feel that I should apply for SSDI. I would go nuts if I couldn't do something for work. Now, down the road I may have to look into it, but for now, I'm still chugging along.

Susabell, I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you all went through with his illness. I've got folks who work for us that have gone through 6 month medical surveillance due to exposures in the field. Most folks don't realize the danger of working in an enclosed space with someone you have that has no idea they have a communicable disease. Is his FD/EMS department or your state providing you with support? Typically, they will help out any way possible.

Yes, I'm still taking the Opana ER and it's working very well. I do still have nerve pain on occasions. Yesterday I had a flare up and I've got my TENS unit on now. I didn't sleep for crap last night because of the discomfort.