Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Needing some advice

A little about what’s going on with me. On September 11, 2011 I hurt my back at work. I lifted a box that weighed 21 pound from about shoulder level brought it down to myself took a step back turned and took about 5-6 steps it felts like someone stabbed me in my lower back and my knees buckled, I never fell down but couldn’t stand up straight again. Called my boss she sent me to the emergency room. The emergence room doctor said I probably just pulled a muscle and it should be better in a few days. But it wasn’t. I had pain in my back and couldn’t feel my right thigh. So workers comp sent me to a neuro surgeon. I saw his nurse on October 3 they took me off work completely until I was able to get a mri. Had the mri on October 6. We got the results on October 26th it showed that I had an annular tear at l5-s1 location in my back. Since I had not seen the actual doctor workers comp sent me to a medical doctor on November 7, 2011 he ordered physical therapy and gave me countless prescriptions. And sent me back to work with restrictions of no lifting over 20 pounds, bending, or stooping. I worked 35-40 hours a week injured and did physical therapy 3 times a week too.
After 15 visits to physical therapy the doctor said I had had enough physical therapy and didn’t need any more. Gave me more meds released me fully back to work at the end of December 2011. I was still in pain and the meds were not touching it. On January 31 he said he would no longer see me and I would just have to go to my own doctor and learn to live with this pain. He was unable to treat patient’s long term. And told me not to come back to him that there was nothing he could so for me.
March 22, 2012 I went to my own doctor. He said I shouldn’t be working and should file for disability (wish I had then but I didn’t) my doctor tried to get me into the first doctor I saw but since I was still a workers comp case they wouldn’t take me. I called my case manager and she set me up with a different neurosurgeon.
Did another mri on 4-9-12 and meet this new doctor. On May 5th I got a lumbar injection and started physical therapy on May 14. After 8 visits the physical therapy meet with the doctor again and was told since this wasn’t helping I needed surgery. Did more physical therapy while we waited on the surgery to get approved.
Had l5-s1 fusion done June 27th 2012, they went through my stomach to get to it (anterior interbody lumbar fusion) went home the 28th. Started physical therapy again on July 11, 2012. Was doing real good pain was gone I felt great; I was working my butt off in physical therapy. Near august 1 my ankles started swelling. So I laid down and propped my feet up felt that sharp stabbing in my back again. And I have been back in pain since .I went back to the doctor on august 9. Told him about the pain in my back and that my hips were starting to hurt they hurt like I had bumped into a table or something. Told me to try taking ibuprofen to see if it would help. It didn’t. Stopped physical therapy and he released me to go back to work on august 27th.
Went back to doctor on September 20,2012 and he set me up for shots for bursitis in the hips. I got the shots on October 22nd. They didn’t help. The shots made it worse. I felt like I had been squeezing a ball between my knees all night long and my muscle kept spasming all the time.it hurt to walk and I started limping and then the pain went to my left foot.
Did several weeks of physical therapy to try to help the shots work and try to to get the pain to stop.
It didn’t help. On March 11 2013 we did another mri. It shows a buldge at the l4-l5 disc space. (I didn’t have this before) so I am back at square one again.
My doctor ordered a lumbar injections and physical therapy to try to help.
5-30-2013 did the shot. Then we did 2 visits to physical therapy (that’s all workers comp would cover)
My doctor orders a discagram. He said my mri back in march was not clear enough to see what was going on. We got to do the discagram on august 27th, 2013 and we got the results august 29th, 2013.
The discagram showed that when he injected the dye it pooled like it was suppose to, so he had me walk around for 10 minutes and then he did a cat scan which showed that all the dye leaked out. He then told us that I need to have the l4-l5 fused like the l5-s1 was done. and he requested certification on another mri and the surgery I need.
Workers comp will not cover this surgery. They are denying certification and are not going to help me.

I have pain in my back down my left leg to my foot, across my hips and it’s starting to go to my right foot especially if I have worked. I can only work 4 hours a day and that’s beginning to push it and end up working 15-20 hours. After I get off work all I want to do is lay down. I have no energy and to do anything hurts all the time there is not break from this pain.

I filed for disability back in January and was turned down 2 time and I have lawyer and and waiting on a hearing. I am still trying to work but I have been told as long as I make less then $1000. Per month I should be able to qualify for disability.
I have turned this over to the lawyer which he filed papers with workers comp but now I am wondering what good that will do.
I don’t know what to do next and I need some advice from people that have been there to figure out what to do next. Any advice would be great.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read all of this.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I will say two things about this. 1- See a dr on your own. Maybe two that have no clue about your past tests and take all of them to them and get their opinions and readings. Do NOT mention WC to them. Trust me. 2- Seek legal council. Even if it you just talk to a couple of different lawyers to get their advice. Once you do those things (I know it isn't an instant fix and I don't think there will be one my dear) then you can start to piece together some ideas and a plan.

I'm so sorry you are going through so much and that you are in terrible pain all at the same time. If you ever need anything, I'm here. You can PM me any time.
    36 yr old with one degenerative disc (L5-S1)
    3 rounds of Epidurals in 2013
    6 PT visits in 2013
    Microdiscectomy L5 S1 on 9/5/2013.
    Re-herniated in January 2014.
    Epidural on 3/3/14.
    A/PLIF (L5-S1) 6/3/14
  • You had surgery in june and they started you in pt in july? That sounds to fast.I had ALIFL4L5S1 Surgery through the stomack and back and I didn't start pt for 4 mths.I got the bursitis in hip too and the shot did nothing.Pt they used the stick on my hip which they roll it up and down your hip and leg and it got rid of the pain.I had a orthopedic surgeon and a vascular surgeon.Im back to work doing great.You need to get all your records and see another surgeon.Sounds like you have what I had.Thats terrible what they put you through.Hope you get help soon.PM me if you want.stay strong Kathy
    Kathy B
  • Thank you all so much for the advice. i have been considering going to my own doctor just haven't yet. i got a letter from my doctor today ( they sent to the workers comp insurance). the workers comp insurance didn't even give the doctor time to respond to their request for them to call .they didn't even have all my medical records.and are still denying to cover the surgery.
    i will be going to my lawyer on monday with it and see what we can do.
    i'm 35 years old. being someones daughter, someones wife, someones mom and everything im suppose to be like i use to and all i can do is 1/2 of what i could do..its been very upsetting that no one has been doing anything the last few weeks to make this better.
    thank you all so much for the advice again. God Bless.
  • mspmap92mmspmap92 Posts: 4
    edited 06/07/2014 - 6:14 PM
    my disability did get approved which is a get help. im still no closer to getting my back fixed. i called our personal insurance and explained what was going on and asked if they would cover this part of the surgery that workers comp is denying, they told me since it is related to a work related injury they will not cover it.
    my lawyer is trying to push me into settling, he says there is no way workers comp will cover the surgery i need. he said that in 2 years i will be able to go medicade or medicare ( cant remember which) and they it should cover the surgery i need. he wants me to settle for $20,000- $25,000 when i need a $55,000 surgery and that doesnt even include after surgery care, pt or meds. thats just the dr and every thing the surgery will need.
    the place i work for has private insurance and they are denying the surgery their doctor says i need based on NO COMMUNICATION WITH THE DOCTOR, AND NOT HAVING ALL MY MEDICAL RECORDS..
    so because someone didnt get the paper work to them, and the insurance gave their neurosurgen 1 day to call them back. i dont get the surgery i need to fix my back...
    so for now i have to keep working the 3 hour days 5 days a week that the doctor will allow me to work. because if i quit it lets them off the hook. cant do that...
    if i should agree to the settlement: 1 they get off the hook and dont have to fix me. 2. the lawyer gets his share 3 i loose my job because they will make me quit and 4 i get screwed. yeah ill have some money but big deal id rather have my back fix and not be in pain then have that money.
    i feel alone in this fight. i know im not, a great husband and three wonderful kids. but we hire our lawyer to be on our side and i sure feel like he is working for them and not me. i did contact another lawyer but they havent called my back yet of course that was friday afternoon too, so stands to reason why they havent called yet.

ive been trying to look at all of this as to what i have gotten accomplished in the last almost 3 years that if i had not gotten hurt i would never have found the time to do..EDITED. i have seen 2 of our 3 children graduate high school and been apart of more things involved with their high school band stuff. spend more time with my husband. and spend more time with the kids too.
    so even though this injury sucks big time.
    If you can offer me any advice on what i should try to do next please let me know. i am going to do everything i can not to settle till i am sure that is whats best for me and my family..
    Thank you for taking the time to read all of this.

5.08 You agree not to engage in religious or political discussions. Posts regarding these subjects will be reviewed by the moderator team to determine if it can remain.

5.18 Spine-health.com reserves the right to edit, monitor and/or delete comments at our discretion without notice.
  • i'm still waiting on that surgery. we went before a workers comp judge and he didn't like the way the settlement was done. he told their lawyer there needed to be more money put up front in case i had to have the original fusion taken out and redone since this has gone of so long. their lawyer took that back to the company in April and i still haven't gotten anywhere because the company didn't like that idea. so in may my lawyer said that we were going to have to go to a hearing and see if we can get anywhere there... so we have been waiting on a hearing..well last week my lawyer quit the firm we are going to and moved 4 hours away with a different law firm. so the law firm he was at assigned my case to another lawyer that the hired new to the firm...

November 13,2014, the workers comp doctor took me off work.( my case manager said that this wasnt approved leave from the workers comp person at the job i worked at..) i was swelling from the waist down to my feet. that was scary for me since i done have a history of swelling. i have also developed drop foot and pretty much drag my right foot and i cant take my right leg past my left to make a complete step. since i have been off work the swelling for the most part is gone. i swell sometimes if i do to much but other then that its down.. my pain level is still high and i am now on an anti depressant. my medicare kicked in but i cant use it for the surgery i still need because the workers comp person dug into that and used their numbers that medicare would need to have them pay but wont cover the surgery or any thing to do with my back until all of the money that the work comp puts into the account ( its called a work comp medicare set aside program) and they were going to stretch it out for 42 years... so medicare is out, my husbands insurance is out, and workers comp wont pay for it even thought its their responsibility. Our youngest daughter will graduate this coming spring.. that means i have seen all three of our kids graduate in this pain.Our son is getting married in May.... my old lawyers assistant has had 2 babies since this started.. i cant just sit around so i've decided i may try to go to college, maybe try to get a law degree and be my own lawyer. seems like ill have all the time in the world to get a degree maybe even 2 or 3
    this is affecting every part of our lives. there is no end to it. this pain has over stayed it welcome but it doesn't look like it will be leaving anytime soon .... i have a lot of anger over this and i try to hide the pain.. i run into people every time i go to the store that tell me to get a riding cart but i refuse and say someone worse off then me probably needs on, when i really need on ill give in but until then i'm going to keep fighting....

if you have any advice that might help. please fill free to let me know. Thanks for reading this :)

ps i sent my mri to a spine place in texas and they agreed i need surgery..but workers comp dont seem to care..
  • Im 30 yo...Man i just have been 3 months in the exact same position and its frustrating that nobady wants to help us... Im under workmans como ... And doctors trying to minimize the problems what we have ..
    They dont care or understan how bad it is that u cant even do normal activities like taking a shower or just sleep...
    U are not alone ...