Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Stimulator trial

I am scheduled for a neuro stimulator trial for five days to see if it will help with my severe pain in my lower back/buttock area. It is scheduled for this coming Monday.

Is there anything I should be aware of?

Many thanks for trhe help.
advertisement

Comments

• jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 10/11/2013 - 10:51 AM

I don't have any experience of stimulators but there are lots of members who do have. I have read from many that they get wonderful relief from their pain this way.

What level of your spine is your pain?

Good luck for Monday and I hope that you have a nice weekend. :-)

There is a FAQs section that may help you. I will post a link to it;

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/spinal-cord-stimulation/spinal-cord-stimulation-faqs

• Extreme
    Nothing to worry about just follow directions so you don't pull the leads or move them.
    The trial leads are kind of easy to mess with if you twist or lift. They should give you any limitations when the set you up.
    Let's just hope it helps you
  • The pain is in my lower back and buttock areas. I've had two surgerys and a whole bunch of other stuff done which didn't help take away the pain. I am hoping this works. By the way, I am a police officer. Will this thing interfere with my job of patrolling the streets.

Thanks everyone for your help.
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 10/12/2013 - 6:49 PM
    Extreme
    If and I say if it's placed right meaning the leads you should get some pain relief. My unit covers me from the belt button down but has to be programmed to keep the coverage and sensations from getting up into the organs, the body just doesn't like that. They should be able to get you some coverage from the belt line area down. Some don't get the lower back coverage. My paddle was raised two vertebrae from the normal position to get my coverage.
    We are all different. I needed the back covered so they placed the paddle in surgery then woke me up and we found I didn't have the coverage I needed so that is when they raised it up.
    Working with the unit should be no problem after it scars in and isn't positional.
    Has far has working your job you will always have to be careful that a fight doesn't make your leads migrate. Example, I can't go sky diving with my paddle because several will migrate when the canopy opens and the body jerks up. That stress on the body can jerk your leads lose. Now if your back is ok lifting and doing your work you should be OK but have to be careful. Another member here is pretty active and even golfs with no problem. A lot depends on what damage you have.

I would caution you if and when you get a trial of a unit to be careful driving. Pot holes change the connection of the paddle or perc lead with your cord and the voltage can change big time. After six months this was not a problem with mine.

Rick
  • Well the stimulator is in and was programmed. I was in horrible pain yesterday and this morning from being cut. As off right now I'm not overy impressed with it.

I had to go through a lot of pain and this is all the relief I am going to get. Everthing is scheduled to be taken out this Thursday at 2:00 PM. I have no idea why they want to pull it out so quick. I got to find a way to get rid of some or all of this pain. Then I just want to get back to work.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,904
    edited 10/15/2013 - 9:48 AM
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

dilauro

tamtam

Liz

Sandi

Jellyhall

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • How did your trial go? My perm is for the neck and I feel the stim in the butt. I hope it works for you
  • They removed the stimulator on Friday. As of right now I don't know if it will benefit me. I still had a lot of pain in my buttocks as well as my back while using the stimulator. I couldn't really turn it up because when I did I felt like my spine where the leads went in were causing me alot of extra pain.

I have to meet with the Doctor on Monday and I know he is going to try and talk me into having it inplanted. I just don't know if there is anything else left for me to try. Is there anyone on a pain pump and if so how does it work. I was told by the representative of St. Jude that I would never return to my employment if I had it installed. Can someone help me please!
  • Ask your doc to consult with Medtronic or Boston Science. The rep isnt suppose to give medical advice. The doc should allow you to consult with a different PM who uses more than 1 brand. They have different technology. Seems like only a few people here have St Jude????? Thats interesting. I thought for sure you would get the butt pain. Mines in my neck and it works on my SI joints???? I have coverage in butt! Need programing for neck. HOW much programing did they do on you after the trial????? My 2nd one was 72 hours after trial after body felt better. Your trial sounds odd. Rep did EVERYTHING to help????
  • Extreampain
    I agree if anything I would have another doctor if possible try a medtronics or Boston scientific unit. A few things I have found with failed scs trials can relate to three things.
    The unit itself, the doctors skill at placement of the leads( 1/8 of a inch) can make a difference and third the rep programming it has to have experience and willing to work hard to get it right. Oh and maybe a fourth one too, I don't have much luck when contents channel names and act new just rings a bell for me. Do a history check.

Granted this is not and does not help everyone but I do feel it should help you.
    They are wheeling and dealing with these things now that contents are sending out inexperienced people to do it. The doctor should have moved the leads for you did he?
    Pain pumps are good to but have a whole lot of issues and safety concerns.
    Read up on pain pumps my pain management doctor told me no it wasn't a good idea and said many things that made me agree.

See what your options are but your test just felt doomed from the start.

Hope you get some help
  • EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 926
    edited 10/23/2013 - 2:32 PM
    I admire the fact you want to keep working despite your pain. I do not have a pain pump or SCS, but rely on Opana ER in order to get by. My medical director removed me from patient care responsibilities (EMS) due to liability working while technically impaired. Is there any other position within your department you could request due to your medical situation (claim ADA protection?)?

From what I've read about SCS and pain pumps, I think you would be taking a serious chance going back to patrol work. One foot chase could displace the leads and you would be back in surgery. My doctor has told me that SCS and pumps are a last resort item when everything else has failed.

I wish you the best and hope you get relief soon. I am going to send you a private message in a bit. Check your "inbox" for the PM.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Thanks everyone for the replies! We have made the decission to have the Medtronic stimulator put in. I'm at the point now that I don't have anything to lose by trying it.

I have to admit that after they removed the trial stimulator I missed it some what. I guess it did help a little with the pain. I meet with the doctor next month to discuss the install.

The last doctor that I spoke with claims I can work with the stimulator. I explained that when I work there is usually a black cloud over my left shoulder and if there is trouble out there on the streets it will find me. The doctor still claims I can work. I have been down and out with this back injury for a year anad just want to get out of this severe pain and join the ranks again.

My place is on the streets, not laying around in severe pain 24 hours a day. Keith, my department doesn't have light duty. I guess you either work the street or you don't. I have been there over 25 years and have to admit that they have been patient with me. Keith, send me a PM and I would be happy to speak with you.
  • Extreme, I too am in LE and I sent you a PM
  • Ice man said:
    Extreme, I too am in LE and I sent you a PM

Ice man, I didn't get a PM from you. Please send again.
  • Ice man,

Disregard my last post. I got you PM.
advertisement