Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

car accident 4 years ago. herniation/bulging back issues

i am currently 24 years old. in 2009 i was rear ended by a drunk. i was stopped and she was going 40 mph- since then i've had constant problems with my back. i have been receiving continuous treatment over the 4 years. when i was hit i weighed about 250 and over the years of the pain getting worse i got up to 315. i had the lap band surgery done a few months ago and have since lost 56 lbs! before i was hit i was vibrant, outgoing, always on the go, loved working out. from the time i got hit until now my back has progressively gotten worse over the years. i will try to sum this up the best i can. any and every opinion is greatly appreciated- i feel so lost and helpless. i also have not had insurance for 6 months now so i only see my neurologist to get my rx's.

i have seen several doctors over the years for my back problems. my main is my neurologist. he has diagnosed me with a herniated disc in my low back- after i did vax-d treatments with him it is now bulging, a herniated disc in my mid back and a herniated disc in my neck. he thinks my migraines are coming from the herniated disc in my neck. he also did a nerve test about a year ago and in his exact words "there is no permanent nerve damage". one of the other doctors i've seen also said my SI and facet joints are inflamed and i have bilateral bursitis.

the other treatments I've received are as follows- atleast 6 epidurals (no help), 3 RFA's- nerve burnings (the first one helped for about 3 months and the second and third one did not help at all), and i think I've had something done called nerve block or something like that and it didn't help as well. I've had many mri's and xrays as well as a discogram and bone scan. nothing was found in the discogram or bone scan or xrays.

now here's the catch- my neurologist has done some mri's on me. the plain ol' mri doesnt find anything but when he does a compressed mri (it simulates me standing) he finds the herniations. I believe he did a regular mri on my neck and found the herniation there. other doctors i've seen have done their mris (the were always the plain ol' mri's) and didnt find anything. as well, i've showed them the compressed mri which supposedly shows my herniations according to my neurologist, and the doctors say they dont see ANYTHING on the mri!!!

i'm always in so much pain. i can only stand for about 5 mins, cant walk long, and sit long, can't do any repetitive bending or twisting. the only thing that helps the pain, besides medicine, is laying in the bed. just about everything aggravates my back. i'm not able to clean house, do dishes, or cook. i can barely carry a jug of milk and some days i can barely take a shower. i dont sleep good because of the pain. i take perocet 5-325 2xday (for the last year consistently but have taken them on and off for about 2-3 years), generic for neurontin 300mg 4xday, flexeril 3xday, and tramadol as needed (doesnt really help). i also take other psychological meds- provigil, welbutrin xl, buspar, prozac, clonidine (to help me sleep), and valtrex. i'm starting to wonder if i have some rare disease or if my psychological meds are causing some of this.

• Just about everything aggrevates my back, and I don't do much because of the pain. I also was rearended but most of my issues are in my neck and upper back.
    One thing I found with my meds is I take them as prescribed, but sometimes I vary the time and combo, and find it works better, sometimes it doesn't. But If I can keep on top of the pain I do much better. Example tramadol doesn't work for me first thing in the am, better in hte early evening, muscle relaxers I have to have mid aftenoon, they don't work as well in evening. Even though there seems to be better times, the pain never seems to go away completerly, just reduces intensity. Sounds crazy, but I recently met someone with neck issues who said she does the same thing. Sorry for your pain
  • necksoup, thank you so much for your post. what you said is exactly me as well in regards to taking medicine at different times and different combos! and you're right, the pain never goes away, the medicines just reduce the intensity! i really hope one day i can get off these medicines. but for now, they are what keep me from pulling my hair out and going completely insane from the intense pain.
  • The woman I met called it 'mixing cocktails'. to find what was going to work. she said it sounded more appealling, lol.
    I have some psych drugs for depression, but not that many. Maybe they could find something that could do what you need in 1-2 pills, maybe a stronger dose. My good friend doesn't have pain issues, but takes some of those meds, and everytime they give her something else, I watch for any reaction. More doesn't equal better for her. Pain issues -I know you are hurting bad because the same words that you wrote are always in my mind, I am always complaining about jugs of juice, the pain does make us crazy because it messes with so many aspects of our lives. Too bad your tramadol doesn't work for you, mine helps more than most. I have been using some aromatherapy that works for me also. The peppermint essential oil is similiar to the pain rubs at the store, but I find it works better. You can send me a pm if you want to talk more. I don't have to pull out my hair, I think my is falling out from stress.