Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why doesnt pain med

Manage pain in my neck also. My loratab has gotten my back pain down to I can deal with it. But it does not help the neck pain at all...

I don't understand why not?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    The main purpose of pain medications is to 'fake' our brain sensors so that we are not experiencing pain.
    So, be it in the foot, hand, back, neck, etc, the end result is no different.

But what can make a difference, is the different pain levels. Everything being equal, it wont matter, lumbar or cervical. But the may not be equal. Not equal in terms of pain, they could be nerve pain involved, plus other variables.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • edpharmdeedpharmd Posts: 19
    edited 10/14/2013 - 6:29 PM
    Varying conditions may require more one type of pain medication...quite possibly you may need something other than a narcotic pain reliever. Try to identify the type of pain you have in your neck. Is it a muscle spasm? Or maybe nerve related pain which can be difficult to treat
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 10/15/2013 - 1:33 AM
    There is a theory about pain that you can only feel the area where the pain is strongest at any one time. I damaged my spine and was in excruciating pain - also badly broke my ankle and did a lot of shoulder damage as well. All I could feel was the spinal pain - could not feel my ankle (it was really badly broken) or shoulder (which was pretty smashed up as well). Now I have my spine pain more under control some days I am starting to feel my shoulder pain. Maybe this pain theory is correct.
  • Thinking. ( and I read lots of articals)... I feel like an idiot...and must b in denial about what's wrong with me..

I need keep pondering so things sink in.

....some things can be fixed..some cannot...or should not according to doc...
  • I am not going to even pretend to understand anyones pain when I can't understand my own. One thing that amazed me is that I have had severe cramps once a month since my last pregnancy 2004 due to a fibroid. I had been on medication that help somewhat, but knowing that I only had it 30-40 hours, I could deal with it. When they finally gave me my maintenance meds post neck injury, Mobic, Valium, Ultram, Lortab for break through pain, it did not touch those monthly cramps. I was really disappointed. I figure all those drugs-I am not going to feel a thing. It did help my neck a slight bit.
  • I know that nerve pain is very different from other types of pain, and medications for one type of pain don't always help another. Is it possible that you may be experiencing different kinds of pain?

48 year old freight handler. Bilateral foraminotomy, decompression of nerve roots and reduction of spondylolisthesis at L4-5 with open PILF and autogenous bone graft from left hip - June 13, 2013
  • Only thing I can think is its nerve pain....that may b it...but take gabapentin...
  • The brain responds to the strongest stimuli. So if one area of pain is treated and relieved it is possible to feel pain from an old injury or at a different place. This fact is the basis for topical preparations like sports rub or arthritis cream: these products create a sensation of heat or cooling and is strong enough to temporarily distract the brain from responding to pain signals. The "bowling ball on the foot" principle!