Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PAIN - What is it?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
edited 10/16/2013 - 7:33 AM in Chronic Pain
Pain has become such a common phrase nowadays, that I doubt if you can get through one day without hearing that term.

There are several threads here that have been put together to try to help others understand it or deal with it.

1 - The Blend describes the various ways we all have to deal with pain.

2 - Chronic Pain A step by step guide on how to deal with it.

3 - Living in Pain A hour by hour description of what its like to live in pain.

4 - The Roller Coaster Ride Anyone who has experienced pain, understands that there are good days and bad ones.

Pain - Pain motivates the individual to withdraw from damaging situations, to protect a damaged body part while it heals, and to avoid similar experiences in the future. A medical definition provided by Wikipedia. There are many other fine tuned pain definitions to explain the origin, how it can feel, etc, but the bottom line Pain - HURTS

So, when something hurts, we want to do whatever it takes to avoid that pain. For many, that could be to remove ourselves from a situation in which pain can easily happen and does happen. For some it could mean escaping from this pain using chemical substances, and for others, it could me removing ourselves from pain through mind-focusing techniques.

I think everyone can easily understand that when we are in pain, we go to the doctors and ask them for something to eliminate that pain. It does, perhaps for a very short time, so we find ourselves back into that doctors office asking for more pain medications. This becomes a vicious cycle and perhaps a deadly one.

So, if chemicals are not the answer then what is? Look at all the above threads and you can gain some insight into what can be done. But I think the first step would be to come to the conclusion that medications are not going to eliminate your pain.
The quicker you come to realizing that, the quicker you can move on.

Its easy to describe the various eastern medicine techniques where the mind becomes the key ingredient in controlling your pain. Honestly, I dont know how many people can really do that. I know I have tried, I have failed, I have tried, I've failed again, but I keep on trying.

We need to allow our brains to 'forget' about that pain for a while, or to put it on vacation for a bit. Doing that, we can experience more time without all that pain. Again, not easy.

I've been living in chronic pain for more than half of my 63 years. I have tried everything, from the prescribed, to the abused, to the illegal means in controlling my pain. I've been fortunate for the past 10 or more years to look at the more peaceful ways in controlling pain.

The Aroma therapies, music therapy, relaxation techniques, meditation, acupuncture to name just a few. You need to give them a try. I know in the beginning, with the use of aroma and music therapy, I was able to shut down my pain levels if even for a half hour. It still was better. The more I practiced that along with other techniques, the longer I could manage my pain without any chemicals or outside interference.

I know, many of you reading this are saying who is this Nutcase from the 1960's True, You may not be ready for this thread today, tomorrow or ever. But if you start to doubt what the chemical world can do and you still have pain, take a peak back here. I've only scratched the surface. Our minds are the most powerful parts of our bodies. We just need to figure out ways we can best use it.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com