Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Procedure code 62287. Predetermination denied

Been dealing with a "protruding disc with a tear" since 2011. Diagnosis code 722.10. Had all the epidurals, radio frequency, etc. It has gotten progressively worse and now the treatments do no good at all. UMR has denied my pre-determination for the minimally invasive discectomy (62287), calling it "investigational or experimental, based on current medical literature". The pre-determination can't be appealed. So they want me to pre-pay the Doc the $5000 if I want the surgery and then file, and more than likely appeal.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing? I feel like if I had the right "medical literature", then I could approach my HR people and get them to over ride this determination. My company is self-insured, UMR only handles the claims. I did find one instance where a physician sued BCBS and won on this very procedure.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    We have still not reached a 100% standard in those.

I am not sure, but from your post, it appears that you want to go ahead with a procedure. What I am not sure of, because protruding disc, tear is such a common general term.

I am not sure where you are located, but normally in the states, if a Doctor feels that a patient requires a specific surgery, they will be the ones making sure all the paper work, coding, etc is done. When a patient requires a procedure, doctors are not going to be stopped because of an insurance coding situation
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com