Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Young with Spinal Problems - A Blessing or a Curse?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
edited 02/02/2016 - 11:00 AM in Depression and Coping
I think one of the biggest topics that we read here are about younger people with spinal related problems. So many times we might shove those young ones around, telling them that its not a problem and don't just look for the quick chemical solutions.

But in reality, that is so far from the truth. At times in the spinal world, youth can be a blessing or a huge weight to bear.

So much of the recent DEA situations with doctors have been centered around narcotic pain medication abuse. Call me crazy, but in order to get a script for that, your doctor has to realize that is what you need. So how, can that be abuse? If your doctor prescribes it, then it should be fine.

Its one thing if you or anyone else obtained narcotics illegally... But I am not going to talk about this here.

Lets step back before the prescription writing of narcotics is even done.

I am sure most of you have heard

You are too young to have these problems
There is nothing wrong with you, it has to be in your head
I know, you are only looking for drugs

This could go on and on

Its sort of the curse you have to bear. Why is this? For the most part its because the young people are strong, they can handle almost anything, they can bounce back in a second. That is us, the older and supposedly wiser ones talking.
After all we were there once.

So much has changed. I first had spinal problems at 15. I remember my mother taking me to the doctor and they just looked at me and basically didn't do anything. I had so many spasm attacks over the years, that I would be on the ground for days. Then sports, specifically football entered my life. I loved it, still do and always playd as hard as I could. I was an aggressive sport person. We where trained in the 60's to deal with all of that. Lack of proper training, equipment, etc was one of the major reasons I started having disc problems.

Today, the youth are stronger, faster and much more trained.. Therefore, problems should not exist. BUT, our bodies have their limits. And when pushed too far, problems happen. But EVEN if you are not an athletic type of person, that does not prevent you from having spinal problems. There is a lot about genetics, family styles, the way we live, etc. that all have influences into our well being. I am not that smart to even begin to talk about that.

But when you have problems, you go to your doctor. Some take your seriously some, just shrug it off and push you away.
Being pushed away has to make you angry. You know you are hurting and all you want to know is WHY.

People talk about going from doctor to doctor until you find the right one. My take has always been stick with one doctor, earn their trust and confidence and them to you. Then things should be easier. Go with the trust and confidence aspect, it almost always works.

Its not easy being young and having pain, it makes it even harder when you have to deal with people that dont believe you.

It may be a long haul to get what you really need. But always remember, honesty and truth are the best avenues you can take. Side stepping or going down a different alley MAY provide immediate relief, but that is only temporary.

I started this with one statement saying that there is a blessing about being young and having problems.
That is, you can respond better, recovery better and get back to the place you want to be.
Its much easier for the younger folks to do this, than those in there later years.

Be true to yourself, be true to others. That will be your beginning.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• brandydaniellebrandydanielle IndianaPosts: 26
    edited 04/02/2016 - 5:54 AM
    Thank you for this post! I am 33 and have had 5 lumbar surgeries, am scheduled for an ACDF on 4/19/16, and will have a T3/4 discectomy in June. I was told that for whatever reason my spine is dying - that cells are not regenerating, just dying. It's hard to stay positive. My family wants me to the [edit] Clinic...I'm not sure, but I know I want to be able to walk and move when I'm 50.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,804
    edited 03/30/2016 - 5:22 PM
    Wow , I am sorry for all you have gone through and are going through.  It is a rule we cannot post names of clinic's here , but since you already did I will say for thoracic surgury they have one of the top 3 surgeon's in the country.  If you have the option to go to a place like that, i highly suggest it they are one of the best.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Brandy I am also very sorry. I am 34, and just had my first spine surgery in November. Recovery hasn't been very good.  My doctor suggests he 'hopes' I can get by another 10 years before I need another level fused (I had L5-S1), but I am so concerned I am going to have a failed fusion or something.  I feel so horrible for you to have so many surgeries and you're a year younger than me!