Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

In need of some advice from a neck spiney.

I woke up about a week and half ago with severe nerve pain in my right arm. It went all the way into my fingers and I could barely grasp anything with that hand. This is the first time my hand and arm has hurt like this. It is usually just my shoulder, it has been bothering me for years. So after four days of agonizing in pain, I made a doctors appointment with my GP. Couldn't go thru my NS because he has never seen me for my neck. The NS's office wants to see if i can get my GP to order a cervical MRI. Here's my issue my arm has quit hurting. My doctor's appt is next Wednesday. My husband says I should go ahead and go to the doctor's appointment. I just don't want to get in the exam room and the Dr look at me like I am nuts because my arm is feeling better. Should I cancel my appointment?
Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.

• I would cancel my appointment if my pain has gone away. Sometimes your bones get caught and pinch a nerve then they move in a way that the pain goes away and the nerve isn't pinched anymore. I had that in my elbow, I had a nerve pinched somehow in my elbow and pain running down my arm and my fingers, then all of a sudden it was gone and have never had that pain again. Just keep an eye out for the pain to come back, hopefully it stays away!
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    If it were me I would want to know what. Do you have a disc that is slipping? I personally would go for the MRI just to be safe. The neck isnt anything to mess around with
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    edited 11/08/2013 - 1:34 AM
    Either way you wouldn't be wrong in your decision but I guess I would cancel the MRI for now and see if the symptoms return.
    You may want to document what the symptoms were and when they occurred so if it returns and they are similar you have better information for the doctor to track down the source. There has been times when I will have new pain in the arms or hands and I think here comes another cervical issue and it has turned out to be something I over did at work or at the gym.
    Extended periods of tingling and/or numbness definitely is a sign to seek medical expertise.
    take care,
  • Me I would have the CT like Susan said the Neck is nothing to fool around with. Just my opinion. For me once the pain started it eased up a little but came back full force I had no choice and had to get the MRI they did find the Problem.

Good Luck and Keep Us posted.

ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • App already made. Go see. Nothing to loose an no stress wondering this an that.
  • davrunnerddavrunner Posts: 478
    edited 11/11/2013 - 2:15 AM
    You are right in going to see what is going on. My arm symptoms are not continuous but by neck and shoulder pain are. I've had many Dr and surgeons over the past 10 years give varying opinions from nothing wrong to you need surgery. I waited almost 5 years from the onset of symptoms to have a laminectomy at c4/c5 I stopped loosing strength in my left arm, but didn't regain any and have the constant pain. Even today, when I am going to have a 3 level cervical fusion in January, my arm symptoms are not continuous. While the protocol is to go conservative and only have surgery as a last result, I am proof that you can wait too long. I have permanent nerve damage and will always need some type of pain reliever. I am having surgery to stabilize and prevent further nerve damage.
    Hope you get a good report and there is nothing serious going on but it can't hurt to know....
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched