Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One year ago today

I had TILF surgery with a fusion of L5/S1. The recovery was normal with all the good indications that the fusion was successful . I had returned to work aft three months and resumed many of my normal activities . All seemed well until August when I started experiencing pain in my right side and leg. I got in see my surgeon after Labor Day and determined I had a broken screw and the fusion had failed. I had the revision surgery on Oct. 21st. The surgery went well and I am progressing. This time I am not returning to work until I know that I am completely healed. I can't do this again. Healing is my full time job. The recovery from this surgery has been a little easier because I knew what to expect . But it is still going to be a very long recovery. I am coping the very best I can and am getting tremendous support from my wife and that makes all the difference.
GB71
advertisement

Comments

• Thanks for the advice! I am 6 weeks post PLIF, and have been feeling a bit of a bum for asking my surgeon to give me three months before I go back to work when he asked for my input. Sure, my employer offers gradual return to work...that usually means a half day for a couple of days, and then by day three back at it full time! Not so gradual! And then if you push it and have to go off again, they make it very very difficult! So I keep reminding myself to take the time I need to heal and rest...but it is so hard sometimes!
    Thanks for sharing your experience, and I hope you recover fully this time!
  • Seems I read a lot on here about broken screws. My surgeon used a clamp and rod system instead.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • Gbowman, what kind of job did you have in terms of required physical activity?
advertisement