Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Over the counter meds

I am having my second surgery next month. I'm currently experiencing a lot of nerve pain in my foot and lower back. I need to keep working and going to school for the next month, so I don't want to take anything that will make me loopy. I'm wondering what over the counter pain relief has worked best for everyone - ibuprofen, naproxen or acetaminophen...otherwise known as advil, aleve or tylenol?

• I have never had anything over the counter help with true nerve pain. I use neurotin for that with much success. If you are afraid that nerve meds would make you loopy speak with your doctor about starting at the lowest dose possible right before bed time so you can sleep away the side effects.
    Best of luck to you.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Naproxen helped me a little bit while I was working and could not take any other meds. I still was suffering but it took a little of the edge off.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • Try wearing compression socks. They made an incredible difference for the nerve pain in my foot/lower leg.
    Compressed Discs/DDD - L2/L3, L3/L4
    Major Herniation - L4/L5
    Bulging Disc - L5/S1
    "no healthy 24 year old's back should look like this without a major trauma"
    MicroDisc L4/L5 Nov 7, 2013
  • I just got back from the store with a good supply of naproxen and ibuprofen. I will try the naproxen...thanks. Good advice about the compression socks. I will try some. Appreciate the responses!
  • You might want to check with surgeon about taking that before surgery. Some wont let you take certain meds for a period of time before surgery because of bleeding.
  • I know I have to stop taking ibuprofen 10 days before my surgery. So I agree with checking your doctors orders on medicine before surgery. I hope something will give you a little relief before your procedure. I tried the compression stockings but if I wear them doing to much activity the wont stay up drives me crazy!
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • Yes. No NSAIDs for 10 days before surgery....so no advil or aleve. Tylenol is ok though. Thanks for the help.