Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Failed Microdisectomy...Now what???

Hi all. I need some advice as I am really frustrated. Long story I had/have a herniated disc at level L5/S1. this all started in 2011 with lower back and right leg pain. I have been dealing with this issue ona dn off now since then. I have gone tghrough med after med, PT, Injections and had a Microdiectomy on 11/1/12. Had a 2nd MRI done end of May 2013 and it shows lots of scar tissue which is not uncommon but also shows a slight herniation still. I have now gotten 1 Caudal ESI that was just done on 11/11/13. So far I have some releif of the Lower back pain but not the right leg nerve pain. So I guess my questions is....Is the pain coming from the scar tissue or is the herniation still presing on the nerve??? I have about had it with all of it and I am so over it. My spine surgeon says if it still really bothers me a couple months down the road then a Lumbar fusion would be the next possible solution. I am okay with having a fusion but I certainly don't want to be worse than I am now after a fusion....Anyone else with this situation out there? If so please any advice would be great... THX
CMarie
advertisement

Comments

• I have never had the ESI but I had 2 failed Micro-D's . I just had a fusion done at L4-L5 6 weeks ago on October 1st. In my case, I have to say, I feel so much better since I had the fusion. I never really ever got relief from my sciatica in my left leg after either of my a Micro-D's. Since my fusion the sciatica is gone. I have a little aching every once in a while but nothing like I had before.
    I am getting ready to go back to work in 2 weeks. I feel like my life is finally getting back to normal.
    Karen
    Micro-D June 21,2013
    Micro-D August 30,2013
    L4-L5 Fusion October 1,2013
  • Jessica11JJessica11 Posts: 70
    edited 11/16/2013 - 12:37 PM
    It seems pretty typical for surgeons to try a second micro disc before trying a fusion.
    Compressed Discs/DDD - L2/L3, L3/L4
    Major Herniation - L4/L5
    Bulging Disc - L5/S1
    "no healthy 24 year old's back should look like this without a major trauma"
    MicroDisc L4/L5 Nov 7, 2013
  • KatjonmadiKKatjonmadi Posts: 42
    edited 11/17/2013 - 6:37 AM
    Have you gotten a 2nd opinion? Most surgeons will do 2-3 micro d/s on a level prior to doing a fusion (depending on how much disc is left). I would definitely get another opinion before getting a fusion. Good luck and I hope you get pain relief soon!
    March 2002 L4-5 open d/s
    July 2012 L4-5 micro d/s
    November 2013 L4-5 micro d/s
    December 2013 C6-7 ADR
  • Please think long and hard about surgery. It will change your life forever! Get as many second and third opinions as possible. You will never be the same again if you opt for surgery. I don't mean to sound like I'm against surgery but after having 4 that we're supposedly successfull I can tell you will be in for a very long ride.
advertisement