Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What activities

What activities have you found you haven't been able to return to, post-surgery?
Compressed Discs/DDD - L2/L3, L3/L4
Major Herniation - L4/L5
Bulging Disc - L5/S1
"no healthy 24 year old's back should look like this without a major trauma"
MicroDisc L4/L5 Nov 7, 2013

• Liz53Liz53 MissouriPosts: 142
    edited 11/16/2013 - 3:42 PM
    I was an avid runner pre surgery and pre injury and my PT suggested I try it now 6 months post L3-4 microdiscectomy. I tried a bit last weekend and now think my back pain is worse! I am very sad because I love to run.
    I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has been able to run again post microdiscectomy ?
  • I re herniated shortly after surgery and I am right back to square one trying everything to avoid a fusion.
    Herniation of l5 S1 l4 , DDD , microdisectomy in June 2013 and re herniation in September
    Cervical herniation at C5-7 Jan 2014 with impingement of spinal cord. 2 level cervical fusion Feb. 2014 and 2 level lumbar fusion in April 2014
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Contact sports are out and high impact activities such as running. As much as I hated to give it up the aftermath wasn't worth the short term adrenaline rush. But there are many activities out there with less risk of joint damage that have kept me healthy,
    fit, and active.
    Be strong,
  • Had to give it all up all I can do now is walk and eat fish and veggys :(
  • I am 13 week post op 3 lumbar lamenectomies, discectomy, dura tear repair
    And cannot SIT comfortably anywhere....
    ( car seat is the best, but that's it)

I want to sit in church, a movie theatre, chair in my own livingroom withot being so uncomfortable

Going to sit on a plane in December with my husband for a vacation to Puerto Rico and the thought of the ride to the airport, sitting in the airport , sitting during the 4 hour flight boggles my mind, WHAT WAS I THINKING??????

• Hi Jessica11
    I have been reading these post for awhile and want to give some hope to runners who have had back surgery. I am a runner who was running half marathons every weekend with a full marathon thrown in also when I started to have lower back/hip pain and left knee pain. I tolerated the pain for a month then went to see a ortho doctor who started with Xrays that didn't show anything to many different MRIs from hip to knee to lumbar to thoracic and cervical spines. They found Labral hip tears, left meniscus tear to lumbar disc herniation's (which were causing my pain) but what they found was a massive T8-9 herniation. So after finding a spine surgeon who could operate ( no doctor in my area knew how to perform the surgery) I had a posterior lateral discectomy and anterior/posterior fusion @ t 8-9 by a right sided thoracotomy and L3-4 discectomy(so 3 surgeries). So my fear was not being able to walk or in the future run. My awesome spine surgeon did both surgeries the same day and @ 3 months post op I was allowed to start running again, and I mean really running 4-7 miles a day. I had a 10 mile race @ 5 months post and a half marathon 6 months post, and I feel great! I had post op pain till 2 1/2 months which scared me to still have pain but with PT for 2 months and motivation and a great spine surgeon it has worked! So everybody is different regarding their surgeries and recoveries but there is hope!!!
    Posterior/Lateral discectomy and anterior/posterior interbody fusion @ T8-9 by right sided thoracotomy on 5/15/13
    Far lateral discectomy @ L 3-4 on 5/15/13
  • Yeah! I love your success! I don't run but I ride horses and that was a big question I had before surgery, will I be able to ride again. I was told people go back to all kinds of athletic activities and riding should be fine. Ive read a lot about people going back to sports after a fusion successfully but haven't seen a lot of happy sports stories posted here. I think this is a big concern to a lot of us, I have noticed we have an active community and sports is a part of a lot of our lives!
    L5 S1 MicroD - August 21, 2013
    L5 S1 Fusion - October 17, 2013
    44 year old
  • A TE for the Green Bay Packers had a fusion recently and is planning on returning to the field next season. Who knows if he will be successful, but worth watching for sure.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • hollypophhollypop Posts: 86
    edited 11/23/2013 - 5:01 AM
    I had to stop when the spinal stenosis neurological symptoms became so bad, and I am guessing that this is an activity that I likely won't be able to return to. Oh well, I wasn't very good at it anyway. But I liked being out on the course, it was usually very soothing, at least until I messed up a shot.
  • Dirty dancing... no seriously...lol, I have lost some serious moves, though its funny to still try... and I can still dance, just not to the extent I use too. I also can't (or maybe I should say shouldn't) have more children (which is somewhat devastating, but I focus on being thankful for the two babies I have and I know adoption could be an option down the road). There are other things I can't/shouldn't do,but I still find I live a very fulfilling life.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I thought golf might be off the agenda forever, but a couple of months post L4 / L5 / S1 fusion, I was back on the course and walking round with my friends and over the course if a couple of months I went from taking a couple of half shots to getting back to a "normal" round. Of course it's not "normal", but just a pleasant way to enjoy my weekends and rack up many miles of walking. I wish you all the best and hope you do find a way back on the course.