Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sit and Be Fit DVDs

I just ordered two of the Sit and Be Fit DVD series, the ones that are shown on public television.

I'm wondering if anyone here uses them, and what kind of results you saw from the workouts.

I have not had surgery, but I do have osteoarthritis in both my cervical and lumbar spine, as well as a ruptured disc at L5-S1. I don't have good stability when I do standing exercises like squats and lunges, so I was hoping this would help. I am currently overweight and thought that this would be a good starting point until I can lose some of the weight and walk more comfortably. I sometimes have to use a cane during flare-ups so walking as a fitness option isn't really consistent for me.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!
(see profile for medical details)

I *heart* my TENS unit.

• Are you kidding me? LOL
    I would be most grateful to sit for more than 10 minutes without butt pain.
    That would be the most rewarding "exercize" for me to do right now LOL

I am wondering if my butt pain is from my cauda equina or a rectum problem?

Enjoy the exercizes and the sitting in comfort for me

• ShmooeySShmooey Posts: 89
    edited 11/26/2013 - 10:50 AM
    I have stenosis as well, and I find sitting much easier than standing. If I stand for more than two minutes, I get shooting pains into my legs. That's why I thought the Sit and Be Fit exercises would be good.

They came from today, we'll see how good they are now.

Post edited to remove website name. Please review the forum rules regarding posting names of other websites.
    Sandi-Spine Health Moderator

I *heart* my TENS unit.
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 11/26/2013 - 2:48 PM
    Please have a look at the valuable link put up by Ron. It shows the pressure on your spine if you are in a sitting position. And the pressure increases while sitting much more if there are any weights involved. You can also see images of pressure on your spine caused by sitting, standing etc on the web. Easier images to understand. I live in Aus so haven't seen the ads.

Is there a warning on the videos you should not use them if you have spine problems?

I had a look at your medical history ( I saw see profile for med details, so hope you don't mind) and do feel for you, but with your med conditions I would be really careful exercising sitting down. Maybe you could use them lying down but sitting will put an incredible amount of stress on your spine and I think could easily do further damage.

Just my two cents worth but I would talk to your GP first please. I know a lot of people who have weight on and they told me they feel hungry all the time. There are some great weight loss programs that are free, no sugar, no carbs - after you have been doing it for a while you won't want to eat sugar. I have put on a bit of weight but I was pretty thin anyway so need to get my weight down a bit too.

Please talk to your GP first, I am really surprised they would sell videos that are completed when sitting and not put a warning on about spine conditions. Please be careful. All I can see if sitting is further damage to your spine.

Maybe if you could get to a gym or have a spine trained personal trainer out to your house - you could tell him/her your conditions and they could program a set of exercises for you. Then a set of headphones, your favourite music, sounds a bit daggy but I used ABBA and voila. I bought a WII on a friend's recommendation but that was too much for me even though it was fun.
  • I did clear it with my doctor. She told me not to do any straight legged leg exercises from a seated position, and to modify it to a bent leg. She said that if it didn't feel right, not to do it, but she did give me the okay, I think because she really wants me to be more active.

I did the first workout yesterday, and it's pretty easy. The leg exercises are done standing, use the chair for balance if needed. The seated exercises are 98% for the upper body, which suits me well. I get leg pain from the stenosis if I stand too long, so doing the upper body work sitting works well for me.

The workout I did was specifically geared toward arthritis sufferers, and seniors. I will definitely do it again. There's only one thing on it that I had to modify. In fact, they were showing modifications to the standing exercises where the person was seated doing leg movements. I found that to be backward. I thought it would give more stress sitting down...but then, I don't have rheumatoid arthritis in my feet either.

So far, so good.

P.S. ABBA isn't daggy, they're fun! :D

I *heart* my TENS unit.
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 12/02/2013 - 9:16 AM
    I'm really glad it's working for you. I know ABBA is pretty girly but they have a great beat for exercise.

If you drink coke here is a link that will hopefully put anyone off ever drinking it again. I have used it for cleaning, starting the car by putting it on the terminal leads to the batteries, actually any fizzy drink works for that, and vodka for cleaning as well though that got very expensive. Lucky I don't like Vodka. I am so happy this is working for you - go girl.

Post edited by the Spine Health Moderation Team
    Please review the forum rules prior to posting at these links for more information.

This discussion has been closed.