Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neurosurgeon using cadaver bone

Has anyone ever had a fusion with a neurosurgeon and he only gos in your back using a cadaver bone , L3/4

• Hi
    Cadavar bone was used for my anterior cervical fusion with instrumentation C5-6
    In 2012

No problem with the donor bone

• I had an ACDF on Nov 4. Still healing, but no issues. My Dr. didn't really give me any options. I was in so much pain from nerve root compression that frankly, I didn't really care.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    When they wheeled me down to mri after surgery my chart was on my bed. I couldn't help but look at it. My bone came from a 67 year old male.
  • Great to know guys makes me feel better ,Susan I'm like you I wanna know where and who the bone came from
  • Sinman - so you're going thru with it now? I saw on one of your posts that you were considering just going with epidurals and canceling the surgery.
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • I have no idea the gender or age of my donor!
    I am kinda glad I dont know

But these donor bones do work and save the patient from having to have a bone draft from the hip, which is painful
    Is painful and another incision

Hugs and prayers for your successful surgery
  • Bone grafts don't always come from the hip or pelvis. Mine came from my ribs, so another incision wasn't needed as they were able to harvest it through my abdominal incision.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • My graft came from the bone in my spine they chiseled off. I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned that. My surgeon used to get it from the hip but doesn't anymore. Is this rare?
    L5 S1 MicroD - August 21, 2013
    L5 S1 Fusion - October 17, 2013
    44 year old
  • The bone which was removed in the laminectomy at L4 and L5 was used for the fusion, so I was a self donor.
  • kamgramkkamgram Posts: 483
    edited 11/21/2013 - 3:52 PM
    My graft was removed from bone removed from spine during microD and used to fuse T7-8.

• I also have cadaver bone in my neck and I have ALWAYS wondered about the donor--male/female, age or anything...I wish I had of had a chance to look at the chart at the foot of my bed. They would have come back in and I would have been sitting straight up in my bed with my reading glasses on taking notes!!! Is this morbid of me to wanna know?? Susan, I'm with you lol :-)
  • Had 2 cadaver in her neck in 2007 or 2008 and has had no problems, I myself had a posterior 4 level cervical and they used what they could from my own discs that they removed and grinned up with somekind of synthetic material which I actually still haven't found out what. I'm coming up on my 6 month post op and I will ask again.
  • My bone came from my spine. The neurosurgeon cut my spineous processes off at the level he did the fusions. I just have a spot in my back where you can't feel my spine poking out.

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Mama-SchueMMama-Schue Posts: 337
    edited 12/21/2013 - 4:08 PM
    My surgeon also used my own bone. That is why my surgery was a PLIF/TLIF. For the PLIF they perform a laminectomy, removing the lamina to be used as the bone graft. The TLIF is performed a little to the side of the spine requiring less movement of the nerve root. But they are both done through the same incision that is just a bit to the left of the midline.

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
    L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
    L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
    L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
    Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014
  • Hi, I have cadaver bone as well and at first I was a little freaked out. But in the long run, it worked out perfectly!
    -Ti man

C5-C6 Fused, Syrinx from C4-C7, Bilateral SI joints are fused from car accident using iFuse by SI Bone