Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Walking and Ice

I had an L5 - L6 fusion ( yes I was born with an extra lumbar vertebra). I have been home for about five days now, but streets have icy spots and this will be a winter long concern. I did order a pair of cleated walking shoes, but I am really not sure how practical or comfortable this may be. Since driving is out for 4 more weeks or so, the mall is not much of an option yet. Does anyone have any helpful recommendations for dealing with ice?

As an aside a general walking shoe recommendation would be appreciated as well.

Kind regards

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Spine-Health contains detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal conditions and treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some links you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/spinehealth, Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/ , and Twitter @SpineHealth.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to contact any one of the moderators on my team:

Ron DiLauro

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I used to sell footwear for a living so as far as walking shoes I would recommend New Balance walking shoes. I too am very concerned about ice and walking as my surgery is in December and there isn't a lot of walking space in my home. I also thought of getting spikes that slip on over your shoes and they work well in normal circumstances just not sure how practical they are after surgery. So I am interested to see what other people recommend. Best of luck to you and hope you have a smooth recovery.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • I will try on some NBs and hope I can get something to work. My shoe costs are getting out of hand.

Best of luck to you on your surgery!!!! I can only speak from my experience, but nerve pain is now gone and replaced with surgery pain. So I'm really hopeful. Again I wish you all the best.

I bought a pair of Icebug shoes, but having never worn them I cannot speak as to how well they will work. I will report back when I have a chance to take them out on the ice.
  • Thank you. I can't wait for surgery. I'm hoping to wake up with only surgical pain and getting my life back! I am really hoping that by June I can be healthy enough and out of pain to be able to work at a Nature Center and being able to hike with the kids.
    I am hoping that the winter is kind to us and I won't have to worry about walking on ice. But if you believe in the Farmer Almanac I am in trouble!
    Hope you continue to have a great recovery and will be pain free!
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
  • dbarbeau48ddbarbeau48 Posts: 318
    edited 11/23/2013 - 4:02 AM
    I walk throughout the winter, snow and ice, wearing Yak Trax. They are light, attach to whatever walking shoe you use. Not sure how much walking you do. In my case I walk 3 miles a day so my Trax wear out by the end of winter and I need a new pair every year.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • hollypophhollypop Posts: 86
    edited 11/23/2013 - 4:40 AM
    I have many different pairs of athletic shoes that tie, but I can't use them because I can't bend enough from the hip with a straight back in order to tie them. Elastic shoelaces did not work either. I have two pairs of Velcro closure Brooks Addiction walking shoes and it appears these will be the only shoes I can wear for the next two months or so. I had an L4-L5 fusion five weeks ago.

I don't live in an ice prone area so I can't make suggestions there but I wondered if you have enough room in a yard that you could create a little private walking track which could be kept sanded, or maybe covered with something that could be rolled back when the time came to walk, using a dressing stick or a grabber. Do be careful, I have read of so many people's back problems starting with a fall.
  • FlapjackFFlapjack Posts: 15
    edited 11/23/2013 - 7:58 AM
    Thank you for the sugestions. I may pick up a pair of the yak trax. Unfortunately avoiding ice won't be an option as both my kids are on ski team so I will spend a lot of time at resorts. Also, I will definetly get Velcro at least until I can bend. The Icebugs I ordered are Velcro, but if they are unworkable I will go to walking shoes with yak trax (they seem relatively inexpensive so I will pick some up).

Thanks again all!
  • Yak trax are the ones I use over my shoes and they make a bunch of different ones depending on what you need them for! I had brain fog earlier and couldn't think of name. Glad someone else did.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
  • First: I think its awesome you have an L6.... not sure why, but I think its cool...lol

Second: Looks like several great suggestions on this thread. I have none as I live in Florida so ice is something we rarely worry about, and when it does ice... it's gone by 10:00 AM :)

Third: In my opinion the best thing for you to do is call and talk to your surgical nurse. You are obviously one of many spine patients in the practice having surgeries this upcoming winter (not to even mention past winters) from this practice. I'm sure they have some specific suggestions for all of yall if you ask.

Best of luck to you!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Ice is what has brought me here. Slipping and falling on it back in Feb. I have since then had 2 microD's and and a upcoming fusion. I already plan on walking on the treadmill, that I am fortune to own, to get my miles in. I want the Yak Trax just for when I go out in public. The other day I stepped out of the car and slipped in the parking lot. Thankfully I caught myself on the inside door handle before I went all the way down. I am afraid of ice after everything I have gone through. Just be careful out there!!!

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
    L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
    L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
    L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
    Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014
  • The basic recommendation was be careful. Yak trax is an option but still need to be careful depending on conditions. I should get my Icebugs this week and I will report back on how they work. Other option is to use hiking poles. I will definetly be careful! Stay safe on the ice out there. Thanks for the warning mama, getting out of the car is a very vulnerable spot.

Allmetal - I gues with my fusion my l6 sort of goes away :). heard something like 5 to 10% of the population have the extra bone.