Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Unsure about surgery

SneaksSSneaks Posts: 11
edited 11/23/2013 - 5:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm in a bit of muddle about surgery. I had an x-stop fitted in 2006, since about a year after that I've had pretty much constant slipped discs and a lot of leg pain, so basically reverted back to what it was like before the x-stop.

I've had a 'consultant' who has eventually (after being chucked off the list twice due to admin errors) signed me up to have a laminotomy and discectomy, and remove the x-stop - so this is about about 7 years of constant back and leg pain.

The surgery is in two weeks....but in the last 5 weeks my back has suddenly got better. I've been really really careful and tried not to slip a disc in the last 6 months, so I guess it has healed and the leg pain has pretty much gone - seems to flare up in my left side a little if I've been lifting washing baskets and it's cold, but I can now easily manage a 1hr dog walk, when before I was in agony about 3-4 mins into it.

So now I don't know what to do. Do I have the surgery - as I have 7 years of having these symptoms and they come and go all the time? But risk nerve damage - all the complications that surgery offers. My husband reminds me that leg pain is not 'normal' and still needs to be sorted even if its only sporadic, but I'm a bit scared of something going wrong and then blaming myself for going ahead with it.

If I don't have the surgery, I'll be off the NHS list and have to wait probably at least a year if my symptoms flare up again to be put back on the list. So if I slip a disc and it goes horrible again, I'll have ruined yet another year of my life.

I'm also wanting to try for a baby (I'm a 30 yr old woman) in the next 6-12 months.

I'm SO confused as to what to do. I have a pre-op appt next week where I'm hoping to discuss it with the consultant, but he's truly awful, when I asked about whether in his opinion I should do it last time he just said "I haven't got a crystal ball' - I did try to point out that he did have a hefty amount of knowledge about spine ops though, but he basically wasn't willing to 'consult' at all in case he gets sued. I have no one else to ask for advice!

Any opinions are welcome.
advertisement

Comments

• Summi1408SSummi1408 Posts: 176
    edited 11/23/2013 - 7:15 AM
    But since you have had these problems for so long. And if you were to put it off it could take you a year to get on the list. In my opinion I would go for it. This could be your calm before the storm. I would again voice your concerns at your pre op appointment. But it needs to be what's best for you. And if you were to decide to hold off and got pregnant it may cause your back to flare. I would talk to doctor about that as well at your pre op appointment. Good luck and wish you the best.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • The decision to have surgery is so difficult. Especially since surgery involves more than just you, it involves your family and friends. One thing I'd always concentrate on is: what is better for my family/friends in the long run, a few months of difficulty followed **Hopefully** by a much better physical life or continuing on the path I'm currently taking. Best of luck to you.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.