Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

shoulder and neck pain all down spine

I had a cervical fusion about 5 years ago c4-c5. I had gone to my regular doctor about shoulder pain and he just blew it off like no problem. I use to love working out and noticed my left arm was becoming so weak while trying to relieve the pain in my shoulder. I did not want to waste my time with him anymore and just lived with it. I noticed I started getting shocks waves down my whole body when I would turn my head left or right fast. I kept this to my self even though my wife was an RN. I did not want to waste any more of our hard earned money on this clown of a doctor. No one in my family ever had problems like this so I thought I'm being a baby. One day in my sisters pool I was underwater and my nephew bumped in to my head and I felt my whole left side go numb instantly. I could not use my left leg or arm to grab the side of the pool but was lucky enough that my right arm did. It was so weird that I could feel shock waves and like muscle cramps coming and going and after about and hour I was able to move again. My wife said that's it lets go to see neuro Dr. My mri showed that my disk had been blown out lying on my nerves that ran to my left tricept which would explain my weakness. There was so much stenosis and sharp edges that I am so lucky I did not sever my spine. He had me in emergency surgery and after 4 hours and fusion later I hoped that was over. He told me it was probably to late to ever get my tricept back because the disk had been on the nerve so long that sometimes it could find its way back but no way with mine. a year later I woke up new years weekend in so much pain and found I could not pick my self up out of bed with my left arm. Since it was a long holiday weekend I could not see my doctor and had some old pain pills to help me get by. My whole left arm was paralized and I can only move my bicept up and down. Come tuesday I got in to see him and he cancelled a surgery to get me in because of what he saw. He knew I was very athletic and use to wrestle and had a heart of gold to try and help me. When he was done he told my wife he did not know if I would get the use of my left arm back. The disk had crushed the big nerve leading to my shoulder. He said the funny thing about nerves the lower the are below the neck the better chance they can recover. He said he thinks he got it relieved fast enough and in 6 months I got the use of my arm back, still weak but back. Since my surgery's my muscles are alway's balling up on me in my neck and seems under my shoulder blades. I use to be able to deal with this but as time goes they have gotten so bad I am living in constant pain. My wife bought me a hot tub and she sometimes can rub them out or what she calls crushing them. It is so painful to have her do this and they just keep coming back. Just trying to find out if it because of some vitamin deficency or because of the nerve damage from the surgerys. I sleep on hot pad's all night and still they come back. I am tired of eating pain pills because of the side effects but it seems the only thing that eases my mind of the pain. It does not take the pain away it just makes me deal with it but they don't last lone. It's almost like my muscles wont expand back they just want to ball up. I was in the military for 4 years working on high power radar's which are like giant microwaves. This was before there was microwaves and did not know the effects of what they do. I met a guy who had the same problem and asked me what I did in the army and he said that is probably what started your problems. Microwaves heat from the inside out and heat the water molecules and dry out the soft tissue. Has anyone else heard of this? I am just trying to find some kind of relief from this constant pain. thankyou and thank you for this forum.

• AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
    edited 11/26/2013 - 2:51 PM
    I don't know about the high power radars, or the vitamin deficiency, but I have those muscle that feel contracted all the time and full of knots. Have you tried a myofascial massage? I came across some information and asked my massaage therapist and she said she has been doing some but I book an 1.5 hour so I could have a full myofascial massage and it help with the knots and released my shoulders so I am not always pulling them towards my ears.
    Also If you go to PT ask if anyone is trained in graston. It is not the most pleasant procedure, it involves special tools where the try to break up any scar tissue along your muscles. It will feel painful and hot for about an hour, make sure you don't lay down or sit then, walking helps flush the system and you should feel better in an hour or 2. The first time I had it done I was thinking I never want that a gain but I could believe how much it help Spine health has info