Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help With Understanding MRI

Anyone have any insight and can explain this to me in terms that are easier to understand?

Also, could anyone with similar results tell me what your course of treatment has been?

I present with pain and numbness in neck and upper back on my left side that radiates through my left arm and fingers. At this point in time, I am unable to drive, sit in certain positions, or stand for more than a few minutes at a time without experiencing pain that worsens the longer I engage in these activities. I will be seeing a neurosurgeon on recommendation from my primary care physician buy would like to feel somewhat knowledgeable about my condition prior to the appointment.

1. Narrowing and anterior, posterior, and lateral osteophyte at c5-c6 and c6-c7 levels with 2 to 3 mm diffuse bulging. Large asymmetric lateral osteophyte at c6-c-7 level on the left side causing severe left neural foraminal narrowing. There is mild to moderate right neural foraminal narrowing. There is early spinal stenosis and cord effacement at both levels.

2. Lateral osteophyte and uncovertebral hypertrophy are causing mild right neural foraminal narrowing at c2-c3 level, mild left neural foraminal narrowing at c3-c4 level, mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing at c5-c6 level, and mild to moderate right neural foraminal narrowing at c6-c7 level.

It seems that number one is where the issues really are....

Thanks to anyone willing to help me understand what reads as gibberish to me!

• AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
    edited 11/26/2013 - 5:28 PM
    I know what it is like to have that pain and numbness on the left side. I had a herniate disc the was causing pressure on the nerve root that travels through the neural foramen as c6-7. All the definitions can be found on line, I keep a page of terms because I don't have as good recall I used to have, I also have some anatomy pictures of the spine, I believe I got from this site, so I know what area they are addressing. Start writing all your symptoms down because you won't forget to tell the Dr something if you have list.
  • Thanks for responding. I have done some research online but it seems that some terms are used interchangeably? Which, of course, only adds to my confusion. I like the idea of creating my own page of terms for reference. Then I can put it all together and try to make sense of it. Thanks for the link. I wish you the best of luck with your own recovery!
  • The Drs will use different terms or have a different definition, but osteophyte is sometime referred to as a bony overgrowth. And they will say buldging and protrusion are the same thing. to a radiologist they may not mean the same thing. A lot of times they will disagree with somethings in the radiologists report. I have a friend who is a radiologist she hate when they do that.