Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member (sort of)

Hello to all!

I was a member many years ago. Same userid, if memory serves me correctly.

2009, I think, fused L5/S1. Have been going strong though do have a lot of lower back pain when I first get up in the mornings. Take Lortab5, Etodolac and Lyrica 75 and function well.

Used to be an accountant for a fire sprinkler corporation here in Nebraska. Main love has always been anything to do with sewing. Started a small business 2 years ago, hoping to grow it by the time I was ready to retire as a supplement to SS. It grew rapidly and beyond my wildest expectations so quit my day job last March and operate "Sew & Sew" full time. Do alterations, general sewing, machine embroidery and mostly upholstery. I am very careful of the jobs I select and turn down couches, recliners, etc because of their weight and my spinal condition.

Several months ago, I started having a lot of pain/numbness in my fingertips. Though not my pinkie. Saw my PCP, who said since pinkie was not involved, it was carpal tunnel and I sleep in wrist braces. If I can during the day, I wear one on my right wrist though with some tasks, I just can't wear one and PCP said I only needed to wear it at night. However, I can't sew by hand or do lots of pinning without the wrist brace. Last Saturday, my SIL and I drove to Lincoln (about 90 miles) for an Elton John concert and then back to Grand Island. I had more lower back pain the next day but expected that. Monday, I could hardly turn my head and lifting my hands over my heads for brushing/shampooing were a trip. Almost a week later, it has improved though it is still uncomfortable to lift hands over head (not excrutiating as before) and turning my head from side to side is not one of my favorite activities. Am concerned that I am becoming a cervical candidate. No, have not made an appointment with my PCP yet. Wanted to give it a bit more time since it is slowly improving (I think).

Anyway, that is the short version of life since my fusion surgery. Also should say that I have zero regrets about the surgery as the difference in my life is night/day.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here again.

Life is short, embrace it with all you have.

• Sorry that you are back with problems again.

Having neck problems as well as lumbar problems is not that unusual.
    I think if you have a tendency to disc problems then they can happen anywhere in the spine.
    Thoracic is more unusual because it is stabilised by the ribs, but some of us even have problems there.

I hope that your arm symptoms will continue to improve and fade away.
    I used to have flares that would imrpove for several years before things got much more serious. Then they found I had compression on my cord in the neck so I had two levels fused. My lumbar was fused a couple of years before that.

You will probably find some of your old friends from before still here, but we also have lots of lovely new members.
    We all understand what it is like to live with spinal pain.

Look after yourself.
  • Hello!

Thanks for the words and the welcome back.

I must correct myself as in retrospect I determined that my TLIF was done in April of 2008 not 2009. Time flies when you're having fun!

Nice to know that what is going on may not be that unusual. Hopefully things will continue to taper down painwise and I'll get back to normal. I had forgotten how irritating that constant pain is. Even though, it's a low level pain pretty constant.

Thanks again for the welcome. Not sure if anyone I would even remember is still on here. 2008 was a very long time ago!

Life is short, embrace it with all you have.