Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone had percutaneous screws and fusion?

I didn't think I'd find myself back here but I am :) I had anterior fusion of my L4 & L5 in April of 2011. I was fine for just over a year and then the pain slowly started back. After several rounds with pain management I was refereed a surgeon again to have things checked out. Evidently after my bones started to fuse I broke it! It had to have been when I fell hard in the front yard 6 months after the surgery.

I will be having another less invasive surgery on the 17th. It will be Percutaneous screws and L4-L5 fusion. I was just wondering is anyone else has had this done and what the recovery was like. I'm personally not expecting much more than some soreness since it will be more like puncture wounds instead of cuts.

I'm really looking forward to some feed back :)

ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013

• jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 12/02/2013 - 2:52 AM
    I haven't had percutaneous screws and fusion, but I thought I would wish you luck for your revision surgery on 17th.

My PLIF fusion of L4/5 was done with an open incision in March 2010. I am hoping that all is well with my fusion and the increasing pains I am getting are not from a problem with the L4/5 level.

Hopefully, with much smaller incisions, your recovery will be easier than the original fusion surgery.
    Has your surgeon given you an indication of how the recovery will be?

Good luck :-)

• My goodness, I sure hope your pain eases too. I know how much it sucks LOL From what I've read I will have what will amount to 4 one inch size punctures so I hope it won't be too bad because I've signed up for almost $400.00 worth of quilting classes at the American Quilting Society show the first week of February and I'm going come hell, high water or back pain! :)

ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
    L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 12/02/2013 - 6:35 AM

sounds great fun Annie and hopefully by February you should be able to sit to do this. You may have to get up and walk a little every now and then but that should be ok. Doing quilting will be a great way of passing the time during your recovery. I wrote a short story for my granddaughter.

I did go on to have problems with my neck where I had cord compression. I was told that my leg and feet symptoms were from that, but I had a two level ACDF done over a year ago and still have them, so I am not sure.

There is a thread for December surgeries that you might like to join. Being able to talk to others who are going through similar things can be very supportive. Here is a link to it:

Good luck :-)