Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

mew member Myelopathy symptoms

Hello , Having difficulty getting consultants in the UK to fully recognise my symptoms. I have the several clear myelopathy signs , tingling, burning in arms from shoulder to fingers and legs almost from thigh to toes. Have had numbness in both arms and legs.

What is confusing are leg pains , left leg is worse , pains in calf and thigh muscles . These are I believe bought on by walking which I now reduce to the minimum but comes on when resting . Sleep is difficult.Pain is there all the time.

I should add that my cervical spine MRI does show some mild cord damage at c5/c6, . Consultants do not think damage is matching severe symptoms.

Anyone have similar leg pains,

Cheers Tony

• Welcome to Spine Health.
    I am also in the UK.

Have you had other levels of your spine examined with an MRI scan?

If your consultants don't think that the damage shown on your MRI matches your severe symptoms, what are they proposing to do?
    Have you seen a neurologist?
    Have you had EMG and nerve conduction testing done?

Before my ACDF of C3/4 and C4/5 I was sent to a neurologist to rule out MS and some other conditions.
    The neurologist felt that all my symptoms could be coming from the cord compression high in my neck.
    I had two levels fused and an MRI scan now shows that my cord is free with fluid around it again.
    I am still having most of my pre-surgery symptoms and my surgeon wants me to see a neurologist again in case I have something else going on.

I wonder if I have cord damage from being left for over 2 years by my first neurosurgeon consultant. I got another opinion and that neurosurgeon felt we should get on with surgery. Afterwards he said things were 'very tight in there'. I have a congenitally small spinal canal and a very degenerated neck.

I have pain and symptoms in both hands and arms and both feet and legs and also around my abdomen. I actually walk daily and believe that it does help me to keep mobile. Some days I have pain when I set off but feel better after the walk.

I also have had a lumbar fusion and have herniated discs in my thoracic spine, so it is difficult to work out what is causing my symptoms.

I haven't had a neurological test since my surgery, but before it I had hyper reflexes although no Babinski sign or Hoffmans. I do also get spastic spasms in both legs and around my abdomen. I think it is these spasms particularly that are worrying my surgeon which is why he wants me to see a neurologist again. My GP has also sent me for lots of blood tests to rule things out.

I hope that you will get some answers to what is causing your pains and symptoms soon.

• Thanks Jellyhall

I have had a lumber MRI , brain MRI in Oct 2013 . Only cord damage is at c5/6 . The confusion seem to be the left leg pains . These are in the calf and inner thigh , feel like pulled muscles . Not o much of a problem when walking , I can do 30 mins with only a little discomfort but when I rest or go to sleep the pain get really bad ,sleep is difficult amnd pain awakes me . I get up walk about the house and get some relief . Back to bed and round the cycle again.

I noted from one of your earlier notes that you had similar leg pains . Did you get a clear diagnosis ? Was it caused by cirvical myelopathy

Wish I had found this site earlier , it may prove more informative than visiting my GP
    Cheers Tony
  • Hi Tony,

I have not really ever been told for sure what is causing the pain in my legs. The pains on top of both of my thighs, my neurosurgeon felt was probably from my cord but the pain over the top of my right foot often followed by cramping of the toes on that foot, he thought was probably from the lumbar.

I have wondered if having an EMG and nerve conduction studies done on my feet and legs would give some answers.

You are right that this site is brilliant to gain information about our problems and talking to others who understand what living with pain is like is very helpful too.