Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Low back pain

I had spinal fusion last December on L4 L5. I was doing pretty good after the surgery and then in February I fell on the ice and fractured L1. It was the most painful I have ever felt. I was pretty miserable for about three months. I wore the hard plastic brace for the 3 months. I was so glad to be rid of that. My lower back has started hurting in the last few months especially when I am on my feet doing anything for 15 minutes or more. The pain does not radiate down my leg. I usually lay down and rest for awhile and I am good to go. I don't know if injections would help but my spinal surgeon doesn't think the pain clinics help that much. I am very hesitant to go back to my spine doctor because I don't want to go through MRI and cat scan and possibly another surgery. Does anyone have a clue what the pain could be coming from. I still have vicodin from my fracture so I am taking that but I am getting low and I don't think the Dr. will prescribe anything. He is just that way. My pain clinic doctor moved 45 miles away. I would love to go to see him but I think I would need a referral and don't think I will get one from spine dr.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    edited 12/11/2013 - 1:52 AM
    hi Dianne,
    Is there any way you could get a second opinion from another doctor. You could obtain your records and send them to another doctor, then get his opinion then go from there.
    Hope you find relief from your pain and discomfort.
  • Even though you may not want to undergo another CT scan or MRI, if you are experiencing new symptoms, it would be wise to at least try to find out what the cause of that is. It may be that it is just residual pain from the fracture, and there is nothing more to be done, but at least you would know what the answer is.
    Just because you return to the surgeon for follow up does not automatically mean that surgery is an option or that you must undergo one, even if it is recommended. It is always your decision.
    The Conus is located at L1, which is the start of the Cauda Equina ( horses tail) in the lumbar spine and if there is anything that is compressing the nerves in that area of your spine, it can be quite serious, so finding out what is causing the pain would be a wise thing to do.
This discussion has been closed.