Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery was yesterday but why does my whole body ache?

I had my percutaneous pedicle screws and rods at L4-L5 done yesterday and fusion. I got home a few hrs ago and I'm a couple hurs late taking my pain meds. Has anyone else had the problem of your chest, abs, ribs, shoulders neck muscle and jaw being sore? Why would all of that stuff be so sore?

ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013

• Hi
    Your body was moved around and positions changed on the operating table.
    You might find bruises on parts of your body as well

You were probably lying on your tummy with your face in a hole in the table during surgery.
    This would put stress on your jaws
    Then they had to roll you over and carrying you onto the stretcher to go to recovery.

All of these position changes during surgery causes you to feel "sore" all over
    Your throat also might be sore from the tubes.

Your body went through a war of sorts and you are feeling battle wounds.

You will be feeling much better in a few days. We can al relate to what you are experiencing
    It's normal
    Take care
  • Rose, the nurse told me the same thing when I called last evening. But OMG! I felt like a pinata when I woke last night! Up tp that point I had thought it was a piece of cake! Just goes to show huh!

• stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
    edited 12/19/2013 - 1:12 PM
    You might find bruises all over your body, find pin holes (from the nerve testing during surgery EMG) in your legs and arms
    And feeling achy

You were probably tossed around like a bean bag

I hope and pray that this will be the worse pains you will feel since your surgery and feel better everyday

• Rose is correct, but also keep in mind that your body has undergone a major assault. Blood and other fluids are racing to the fusion site (and leaving others) to repair the "damaged cells". That can also lead to some aches and pains. You should feel a little better as each day progresses.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Thank you both so much. It all makes since. I do feel better day by day except for one thing, the SI area in just killing me on my right side and it didn't before. It's a burning & stinging type pain. I know it could be from the way they flipped and flopped me around LOL I'm making sure to follow the Dr's orders and take it easy. I'm also sleeping about 18 hrs of the day! I gonna do this one right!

• Ayyyyyy icing schmicing.....

I did not use ice as much as I should after my surgery

So please learn from my mistake and ICE as much as possible.

Frozen bag of peas was my favorite, but then I got tired if smelling like the Green Giant and smelling peas everywhere

I found on amazon, I think, travel ice packs
    I POP one as I need it and place it on the sore area

I keep some in the glove compartment of our cars for those car rides

Sitting is the WORSE!

Hugs and Candy Canes to all,
  • Actually I didn't ice at all. Heat felt better and the surgeon told to do whichever gave better relief. I've been doing rather well. I find the back brace to be a P.I.T.A. Oh and one other thing that is REALLY WEIRD! I keep getting these really severe burning/stabbing pains in my left breast when I take my bra off or left thing "lose" anyone else have anything like that happen?