Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Too much sitting?

I keep reading all over the web that too much sitting will cause you to die a few years early. I sit a lot (mainly in my free time when I'm on my computer. ) considering Christmas break is now here (and will be until the second when i go back to school) I will be sitting quite a bit. I'm wondering if sitting can really kill you earlier, and why? What is it in sitting that makes it so gosh darn bad? Thanks :3

and merry Christmas and have a nice New Year!~

( I wasn't sure where to post this.. so i put it here, sorry if it's not in the right place )

• I would give you a link but they don't like that here. There are lots of sources that echo your concerns. Google Mayo clinic sitting too much and read their article. I think they are pretty reputable. They don't site any particular reason and I am not convinced that there is enough information yet.

Just seems to me that the old adage of eating a good diet and getting and hour of exercise 5 to 6 days a week will take you far. I would feel comfortable hanging out on the spine forum for a while if I did that.
    C7-T1 ACDF 12Dec2013
  • I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think the take-home message from the research is that we should aim to be physically active. Many of us are limited by our health issues. Just do what you are able and feels good for you, following the recommendations of your PT. Inactivity may be associated with a shorter lifespan, but given that the VAST majority of western society is inactive, the predicted lifespan of somebody who is inactive is going to be almost identical to the average life expectancy, if you see what I'm getting at. Being active puts you at an advantage, rather than being sedentary putting you at a disadvantage.
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 06/17/2016 - 2:00 PM
    This is the reason they say you shouldn't sit too much especially if you have a spine injury. Here is a link to the link Ron posted some time ago with the various pressures put on your spine when you sit. Sitting puts more pressure on your spine than lying down or standing. Standing and bending puts pressure as well, standing and bending carrying a weight puts a lot of pressure. Sitting and slouching really puts a lot of pressure on your spine.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    sitting having any impact on your life span. But, if by sitting one is talking about being a couch potato, than yes, that could and probably would change your life span. Face it, once we have some form of spinal problem, we need to figure ways to do some sort of exercise that will benefit us without hurting. Doing nothing, will only take us down a downward stair case that might be impossible to climb out of.

We sit when we are tired, we sit when after a long walk we need to rest our legs. So, sitting in essence is a way to regain some strength that we might have lost during the previous activities. Since my recent hip replacement, which is doing great , I am now in a middle of a pretty big back flare up. Stenosis being the culprit and some doctors want to do surgery to correct this. But I know after walking a while, sitting down for a spell helps so much. At work, I have a stool, so after talking with customers and selling wines/beers/spirits, I head back to that stool the same way someone plugs in a rechargeable battery... - Helps get things going again.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • HualaniHualani Big Ilsland HawaiiPosts: 57
    We all know the old joke- "it only hurts when I stop". There's some truth in that. motion, activity can take your mind off of pain. For those of us who have had surgery we are often told to rest and take it easy- walking is good, but let your body heal with plenty of sleep. I've been through lumbar discectomy/laminectomy  and more recently ACDF lower (to T1).
    After the ACDF, I'd some issues from anesthesia. I coughed in fits for about 10 days. this prevented me from as much of the ventilation exerciser as I wanted (plastic toy where you exhale  or inhale to raise a disc or balls), it also interrupted some walks in first week post surgery (so critical for good circulation). I  had  D.V.T. diagnosed/confirmed both with ultrasound and blood work. My workout had to be put on hold until the leg swelling/heat/pain was reduced.
    I immediately blamed my DVT on being sedentary. Albeit the MD in hospital who diagnosed it said I was wrong to blame myself= could be genetic or other causes- I believe sitting too much absolutely contributes if nothing else.  this is reinforced by the  fact that sitting made the DVT at its worst unless my leg was significantly raised while sitting. a normal
    chair, car seat, desk was the worst.
    take it in small doses
    before my lower lumbar surgeries it was impossible to sit more than 35 minutes at a time.
    post surg- corrected.
    Life is too short to be serious all the time.
    so if you cant laugh at yourself, contact me
    I'll laugh at you. B)
  • LarnersourLLarnersour Los Angeles, CAPosts: 52
    Never worried about something like this, and i think you should do the same thing. Stay relaxed everything will be ok!
    I regret to inform you that you are sadly mistaken.
    I had never heard of "DVT", I didnt know why one of my legs was suddenly twice the size of the other one, and falsely
    attributed it to having varicose veins on the leg. What you need to know is that in the USA alone (you can research other countries statistics, DVT kille more people each year than Heart Attacks, Automobile wrecks and Breast Cancer combined. It is very serious, and often almost symptom free. 
    if you travel, sitting in car, sitting on planes or other transportation, its worse, even though the travel may be shorter than 8 hours in a chair, the other forces also help create DVT.
    Deep Vein Thrombosis (do your own research too) is when a blood clot forms in your extremities. Sitting they usually form in the legs, behind the knee (bent), below the hip (bent), However, one of mine about the size of a plum
    was in my left groin area, where your femoral artery is.
    Regardless of the size of the clots, your body will attempt to dissolve them on its own, which is why so many die suddenly without warning from a Pulmonary embolism.
    The cots are pushed along the flow of blood in your body until they get stuck , usually in the lungs, the heart or the brain.
    The most common deaths are sudden and due to the first place to get stuck the lungs, Just as common are M.I.'s (yet I've had them-heart attacks, the clots are getting stuck in the heart), or sudden stroke, when they ultimately (maybe smaller bits of clot, made it through the lungs, through the heart but cant get through the brain vessels).
    Health professionals emphasize the importance of atleast walking within 24 hours of the most invasive surgeries, and for all of us, to keep moving, to avoid clots from forming. Ive not only been battling DVT myself for almost 7 months, but recall when my 92 year young aunt underwent 4 way CBG (heart by pass surgery) and was walking the day after surgery (about 12 hours later)...
    PLEASE DO NOT lead a sedentary life style. Please keep your body in motion.
    sorry this is so long, but this is so very serious, and i didnt have a clue...so I hope no one goes through what i have.
    Al the best to you

I'll laugh at you. B)
    I agree that rest is also important in the healing process. I encourage every one to "rest" in a healthy position however.
    Chiropractic designed chairs are one option, with knee or foot rests, the hospital bed design with a 45 degree incline for the raised chest is better than laying on a sofa huggin cushions in pain- which is perhaps the initial response to hurting.
    If we can (when in pain) remember to rest in a position that helps our spines it is a passive way to help. imho.
    I love inflatable balls to sit on if watching the news, I did have a custom buiilt chair for my height and leg length that's for spine health, and encourage all of us (Im no exception) to keep mindful awareness of the pillows, chairs, and other implements we use to rest with.
    I'll laugh at you. B)
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.
    I suggest you create a new discussion if you need to discuss it further

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.