Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

jonisongt35rjjonisongt35r Posts: 2
edited 12/29/2013 - 2:11 AM in Pain Medications
been using tramadol for pain relief for some time now with a high intake of fiber / water still having really bad constipation can anybody recommend me anything for constipation please, im a bit confused as there are so many different remedys and the way they work just want something that will help, i remember some syrup i used once cant remember the name of it,

• Along with A Lot of water I also drink hot apple cider. I used to give my kids karo syrup when they were babies for constipation.
    Herniation of l5 S1 l4 , DDD , microdisectomy in June 2013 and re herniation in September
    Cervical herniation at C5-7 Jan 2014 with impingement of spinal cord. 2 level cervical fusion Feb. 2014 and 2 level lumbar fusion in April 2014
  • If you can stomach it, chug a bottle of purple Gatoraid. It's worked for me in the past. So did Miralax, until I was told that Miralax is essentially anti-freeze for a car!
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I'm using Metamucil to keep me regular and it really helps. I used to be extremely constipated, but my body must have adapted to the pain medicine.

Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • I'm using Colace/Coloxyl, right now. Seems to work.
  • DhoomonyouDDhoomonyou Posts: 12
    edited 02/21/2014 - 4:32 PM
    Colace and peri colace
    Lotsa melon
    Do not demand accomplishment from those with no talent.
  • A friend of mine swears by papaya, and says if you don't like it, put a little lime juice on it to make it more palatable.

I always made sure I was taking stool softeners AND laxatives at the same time I took my meds, and that seemed to keep things more manageable.

The syrup you're referring to may have been Lactulose? I didn't have very good results with that myself, but I know others do. I hope you get some relief.
  • that you add lots of fiber to your diet, and the regular use of stool softeners. Laxatives are best left to those times when you are truly constipated. Miralax is a good one , little taste involved, and not too harsh on the stomach. Don't believe all of the internet stories you may have heard about it containing anti freeze. It does not.....although there is an ingredient that sounds very similar , they are indeed two different chemicals.
  • TracyLynneTTracyLynne Posts: 598
    edited 02/26/2014 - 5:22 PM
    Just to clarify, Sandi, my doctor and pharmacist insisted I take both softeners and laxatives. Unfortunately, no matter how much water or fibre - be it fruit, veggies, or anything else - I had huge issues. I won't go into the details of my visits to the E.R. when constipation got the best of me.

Each of us reacts differently to pain meds and various 'remedies'. In the end, jonisongt35r, your best bet would be to talk to your doctor and/or pharmacist and see what they recommend for you. Again, I hope you get some relief!

• I am a self- confessed Starbucks junkie. I drink a triple espresso every day & don't usually have any issues. If I do it take colace.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • anisa69aanisa69 Posts: 55
    edited 02/28/2014 - 8:47 AM
    I have been using Colace its over the counter at any pharmacy. It is expensive though. About $20 dollars a bottle. I take one in morning and one before bed. It keeps me pretty regular.
    Female 44 survivor of thyroid cancer...just had two surgeries for breast cancer and chronic back pain. Live in upstate ny. On 8mg dilaudid 6 a day and 60mg morphine sulf er 2x day