Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bending after Microdisc

Hey everyone,
So i know only my dr and/or a PT can tell me how and when to start doing things like bending over... but i was just curious other peoples experiences with it.
Right now I am 11.5 weeks post microdisc...still having some nerve pain (not as bad as before surgery) and am waitign on a followup MRI before i can start PT.
Anyways, at my 8 weeks appt my dr said "does it hurtwhen you bend" as if im suppose to be bending? i said "no you told me not to...." lol
He did mention that eventually i should be able to bend like normal and get back to most things, but of course change how i lift things etc. which i am most def using my legs for!
anyways, my question is how did you start bending after yourback surgeries? i mean did you just go for it and see if it hurt? or slowly?
im not gona do it till i see my dr again or a PT but im just wondering.
i know at my MRI appt he wants me to do xrays and bending xrays...needless to say im very scared to do so!
i havent bent over in 16 weeks (4 weeks before surgery)...and im just so scared to even try but i dont want to spend my whole life a stiff board....advice?

• I'm 1year and almost 1 month post-microdiscectomy, finally walking mostly without a cane. The PT in the hospital had me bending slowly after one week. But you said you still have nerve pain and I was pain free right after my surgery, so everyone is different. I would say that you know your body best and do what you are comfortable with. But yes I would start to bend slowly...try sitting in a chair and just letting your arms go forward slowly. Make sure you only hold it for a few seconds and return to a normal sitting position slowly. I hope this helps. Good luck!!
  • ya i was just scared that im waiting too long to not return to normal things and i dont want it to be harder on my back muscles ya know?
    ive starts just doing what you said, doing some slow slow bending...but i do it in the shower everyday with the hot water on my back, seems to help....
    you mentioned you are just now walking without a cane.... did you have pain after?
  • Hours prior to the surgery I was in the worst pain anyone could experience. As soon as I woke up from my surgery I was pain free. I was slightly stiff and of course uncomfortable, but no sciatic pain. Are you taking any nerve pain meds, like Gabapentin? I used it prior to my surgery and found it helped slightly. Have you gotten another MRI since your surgery? I heard that if you are in sever pain after then you might have reherniated the disc. I pray that isn't the case for you.
  • Hey guys! So i got my MRI done last week (on Wed) and several xrays. I got an MRI with and without contrast and LOTS of flexion and extension as well as regular standing xrays. The good news is my surgeon said my MRI's and xrays look "great" he said theres no disc pieces, bulges, herniations that he can see. also theres no scar tissue that they can tell is sitting on my nerves. he also said sometimes they worry with back surgery your spine can settle and curve and mine is not. he said my disc height is still "very good" and he "doesnt see any reason on my tests why i should still have pain" SOOO he basically said it could be either my nerves are just very slow to heal or my muscles are still tight & causing more nerve paind or both.
    he sent me for physical therapy. today was my first day in the heated pool and it was amazing. while i was in the pool my pain went down to a 1-2. before i got in it was at a 5. its been about 2 hours since i finished my appt and my pain is slowly creeping back up to a 5...which sucks. im trying my best to stay hopeful that with time and PT ill get better.
    I still can keep my pain fairly low (2-3) if i dont do alot of anything and just stay home. For example, on Saturday i went to Kohls to buy a swimsuit for my PT and i ended up walking alot more than usual (about 1200 steps all within an hour) i usually only walk about 5-700 steps an hour. well the next day i had ALOT of burning pain in both legs and today im still feeling some of the lingering pains.i actually have to work tonight for a couple hours which requires some walking around so im PRAYING i dont have more pain tomorrow....
    So the good news is my back looks good on paper (or on film lol) the bad news, i still have pain =/
    the PT did say that both of my legs and back muscles are "very tight" and have alot of knots in them. for example when laying down i cant even straight my leg cuz my muscles are so tight
  • Great news on your scans!! I go for my post op scans next week as I have been having a longer recovery time then I expected. Reading your story gives me hope ! Sounds like you might benefit from some regular massage just to get some blood flowing through those tight muscles again. I have found heated pool therapy to be FANTASTIC too =) loving it.
  • me too! i honestly wish i could go everyday! ive only been once (and i go back tomorrow) but i could DEF tell a huge difference. in the pool i almost felt normal again lol. the second i stepped out of the water, i could feel all the pressure on my back and legs like a ton of bricks. its amazing really. my back felt great the rest of the day but i did have alot of leg nerve pain return =/ ive noticed i always get alot of leg pain when i walk/stand alot all at once. meaning, if i walk 3000 steps a day, all spread out with lots of breaks im golden. if i walk half of that all at once without a break...i HURT. i actually keep an activity/pain log and so its easy for me to see where im going wrong. now, even tho i know what to avoid, youd think, why not avoid it right? lol wellll sometimes life happens and i have stuff to do esp with a job and a baby...so as much as i try to lay down every couple hours to not have pain, sometimes it doesnt happen :(\

im just praying one day my legs will love me enough to quit this nonsense. because i really should be able to walk a mile or 2 a day without so much pain.
    the good news is this, even tho i thought at this point id be further and with less pain, i am actually alot better than i used to be. when i was 1 month post op, i still had reduced strength in my foot and i could only stand/walk for 20-30 min. i just never imagined just how slow thsi recovery really is. i think the most annoying thing is that i feel like others think im milkin it or something cuz its been so long...ugh.