Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve block in 2wks, terrified of needles

baggers290691bbaggers290691 Posts: 22
edited 01/03/2014 - 1:02 PM in Spinal Injections
Hi everyone

I'm due to have a nerve block injection l5/s1 on the 15th jan. I'm at the stage where I really need something other than meds to help my pain. I'm having a spinal fusion in a few months but they have suggested a nerve block to help me while I wait.

The problem I have is I am terrified of needles (I can't even see them on the tv). I know this is a ridiculous fear but the last time I had an injection I almost broke my boyfriends hand. I also shake really bad I have had to be held down to have injections. It's not even that I find injections painful, it's just the needle itself!

I know I have to awake for it but not having anyone's hand to crush scares the hell out of me. Is it painful when having it done? And has anyone been given sedatives? I live in the uk not sure if that makes any difference on how it preformed.

Thanks in advance, Jo

• I had nerve block in November an they put me out for it. Did you ask if you were going to be awake? With your anxiety about needles ( me too) looks like they would know you need be out for it.

I've read others are awake so I don't know. For all mine I've been asleep.
  • I, personally, was awake during the procedure. The very first injection is a numbing injection given with a small needle. Once the doctor has guided the needle to the proper location the medicine is injected. It quickly floods the area around your sciatic nerve, travels first through your buttock and then down the length of your leg and down to your toes. It is a warm sensation that can be uncomfortable depending on your pain threshold. I am a nervous person and found that by taking a pill such as Xanax, Ativan or Valium helped relax me. It might be wise to take some foam squeeze balls to use and spare the hand of your boyfriend, nurse, etc. My facility mandated that a driver be present since the epidural can sometime affect your feet for driving purposes plus, my legs were shaky post procedure. I really hope all goes well. Good luck!
    Coccygectomy 07-12-12
    L5-S1 ALIF 12-03-13
    Bilateral Rhizotomy L4-S1 02-24-15
  • Normally they want you awake so you can provide feedback regarding needle placement, but you should be able to request a little something to take the edge off. I never needed anything for my injections, but when I had a discogram I was awake but a little loopy with the Fentanyl and Versed they gave me.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • Get the one that is "twighlight". They can still ask you questions but you don't remember anything. I've read about that.
  • I will call the nurse tomorrow. I've been told I will have to be awake for it when they initially told me I was having it done. Ill ask about a sedative as I won't be driving there as I've already arranged a lift because of being so nervous thought it was sensible not to drive.
    thanks everyone! I'll let you know how it goes
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 01/05/2014 - 10:13 AM
    that you ask your doctor for sedation during the procedure, since moving around can be really dangerous during the injection process and you can risk doing damage to the spinal nerves if you do move during it. The procedure itself is over in a very few minutes, but given the level of anxiety, I'm sure that the doctor doesn't want a patient to move during it so a twilight anesthesia would be the best option for ensuring you don't move.
    The good thing is that twilight leaves you unconcious but for a short time frame and you wake up feeling like you had the best nap ever!
  • baggers290691bbaggers290691 Posts: 22
    edited 01/17/2014 - 8:03 AM
    Hey everyone thanks for all the advice.

My dr has prescribed me diazepam to take the morning of the nerve block. Unfortunately they cancelled it the day before I was due to go in, the doctor who does it has chicken pox and has had to cancel his clinics for the next 2 weeks.

So after weeks of no sleep and freaking myself out I now have no idea on when I will get it done! I've waited since the 4th November til now and they've said they now don't know when they will be able to do it. Could be another months wait.

I'll let you know when I've had it done and how I've got on.
    Jo x