Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain at night

Hi just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?? I had a microdiscectomy L5S1 9 weeks ago, I'm doing fine in the day occasionally get pain in day but can handle it, but when it come to going to sleep I wake up after a couple of hours in agony I can't move.. The pain runs around hip, lower back and down legs but more to my right side, it takes me forever to get out of bed and can't walk properly for the first 1/2 hour I can't even get up the stairs but then as the morning goes on I'm absolutely fine again! Can anyone please tell me what it is??? The doctors keep telling me to take pain killers at night but they are not helping at all.

• you are lucky that you are ok in the day .there was a time when i had a 4 hour window where i was able to do stuff but now its pain 24/7 sleeping when your in pain is awful pain always wakes me after2 hours so i know how you feel my advice is try a TENS unitand make the most of it before your pain gets any worse
    tony..in spain at the moment .
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I find with the really rough nights a combination of melatonin and tylenol PM 30 minutes before laying down greatly helps. Check with your doctors to be certain these OTC meds won't counteract with anything you are taking.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • How do you sleep?

I naturally sleep on my right side. But for several weeks after surgery, it hurt to put any pressure on that side. Now, I can tolerate it for a little but, but I reposition frequently in my sleep otherwise my back tightens up.
    Compressed Discs/DDD - L2/L3, L3/L4
    Major Herniation - L4/L5
    Bulging Disc - L5/S1
    "no healthy 24 year old's back should look like this without a major trauma"
    MicroDisc L4/L5 Nov 7, 2013
  • Thank you for your comments, I've since been back to the doctors again and have been put on diazepam at night along with tramadol and naproxen.. It seems to be helping but still can't walk when I first get up, I feel like I'm taking steps back with having to take so much meds again. Just want to feel normal again