Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Test Results Indicate a Moderate Problem

I had an MRI of my lumbar spine on 12/10/13. It basically shows arthritis and some stenosis. On the report it ranges from mild to moderate. This result does not match my pain level. I am in a lot of pain especially from sitting. At home I cannot sit on the chair or couch. At work I try not to sit whenever possible because it so painful. My husband doesn't believe I'm in that much pain since the mri results were moderate and mild. Has anyone ever dealt with their pain level not matching their mri results. And if anyone has dealt with a spouse who isn't that supportive and has some tips I'm all ears. My husband thinks I can exercise this away. I'm about 30 lbs overweight right now and going to weight watchers. So far I've lost 10 pounds. I'm walking most days on the treadmill, so its not like I'm just laying bed. I guess all of our pain thresholds are different. That's what the dr. said. I already go to pain management and I'm going on 1/21 to a neurosurgeon just for an evaluation.

I think that's in. Thanks for listening.

P.S. I gone through many injections, rhizotomy, and physical therapy already.

• My CT only found "minor" problems etc. but I am still in moderate to severe pain, according to my doc.

I don't believe the degree of problems described in an MRI report necessarily mean that the relative severity of the pain will be the same. The MRI doesn't detect pain and the radiologist isn't commenting on it. Probably anything described as moderate on a scan is going to be causing a hell of a lot of pain.

An example is a herniated disc. Some people have a herniated disc without any symptoms or pain, others are in agony.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Many times the diagnostic tests don't always reflect the level of pain a patient is in. That is why the better doctors will also rely on their clinical examination of the patients. Its one thing when a test says this or that, but face to face reviews tell much more.
    One patients pain level of 2 could be anothers 8. Doctors are trained to understand pain levels and they do their best to provide their patients with the most appropriate action plan. But remember, that action plan may not always include pain medications. There are so many ways to manage and control pain.
    Discuss some options with your doctor. Take a look at The Blend Read about some of the other ways besides narcotics.

Dealing with spouses, thats an entire subject that many threads have been devoted to. I think if I was to summarize everything that has been said in the past its:

• - Communication - Constructive two way open communications is so key here
      - Bring your spouse to your doctors visit. Let them hear what the doctor says about your condition
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com