Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain In Dreams

Yesterday my pain was especially bad and while it didn't wake me up at night I was in pain in my dreams. It was quite strange. Does anyone else hurt in their dreams?

• Yes I have horrible dreams that I am getting ran over, beat up, smashed, you name it. It's interesting how our minds interpret our pain while we sleep.
  • I used to get those dreams shortly after my car accident. I would see a car hitting mine from my rear view mirror and I'd wake up in a sweat with my back in spasm. I haven't had one in a while.

Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    we should experience pain, discomfort or death in a dream. If we do, its something to really think about. Is it wrong, right or what? I dont know
    But I believe that part of our dreams are really extensions of our normal day to day lives.

I wish I could say more, this is a subject that fascinates me, but one that I have not spent enough time figuring it out.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • What I experienced during this dream was an awareness of my physical body, lying there in the bed and feeling the pain, while I was asleep and dreaming. I can't remember what the dream was about but it was like the pain in my body broke through into my consciousness that was in a dream.
  • if one is taking narcotics, vivid strange dreams are common. i call mine psycho dreams and they are vivid in color and weird shapes. i wake up still in a dream state and it takes me a while to get out of it. most psycho dreams are not nice ones, monsters, hitting things, weird shapes and so on. i never have a dream on lying on the beach in hawaii with the hooters girls. if i did, i would never tell my wife.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I dream a lot about pain ..and then I wake up ..in pain ..sometimes its that bad I am crying in my sleep due to pain and then I wake in pain still crying !! .I am told that its common with intractable pain .
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Danigirl123DDanigirl123 Posts: 60
    edited 01/30/2014 - 2:07 PM
    I have never experienced until the other night. Then I remeber seeing this post on here. My dream was me at work as an orthodontist assistant and I was in so much pain that I couldn't even work and I was so upset I decided to go back to work because I thought how could I do this job! Finally I woke up in a lot of pain because I was laying on my stomach and that really hurts my back.
    28 F. Chicago. Fusion from t-12 l-4 from scoli in June 2013. Torn bilateral hip labrums. Arthroscopy to fix labrums January 2013 and march 2013. SI pain from hip surgery Lupus, RA, antiphosphidlipid antibody- hypermobility syndrome ( Marfan syndrome)
  • mcjimjammmcjimjam Posts: 307
    edited 01/30/2014 - 4:42 PM
    Yes I was lying on my back when this happened to me so it's probably due to uncomfortable position. I need to sleep on my side.
  • I also dream that I'm being hurt wether intentionally or not pain is a very common aspect of my dreams. I am sad to admit the violence my mind creates. I don't even like to watch funniest videos in which people get hurt but in my sleep, I've got no control on that. I too wake up crying, my husband doesn't understand why I hate talking about them but when j first wake up its so vivid, I have to have time to wake up , disconnect from them before I can talk about it without crying. I've started to not repeat them they seem easier to forget that way.
  • I keep hoping ill wake and all this will be a bad dream
    Herniated T6-7, multiple herniations in cervical, tears in T5-T8. Stenois at levels and smorls nodes from thoracic thru lumbar
  • I often wake crying but I can rarely catch hold of my dream to remember. I too am fascinated but have never really researched the subject. There's bound to be an explanation.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • susabellssusabell Posts: 238
    edited 02/22/2014 - 6:27 PM
    A lot in a Panic. It's a horrible feeling I wish it would stop, I would really like to know what is causing this. The only thing I can think of is that I've worked my whole life and now I'm just not able to work. I miss my job, co-workers ect.

ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • Susabell, I wake the same . I know cortisol is highest in morning and if you are stressed alot it raises this, might have something to do with it. I miss my old life to, this will never be my new normal because their is nothing normal about it , the human body was not designed for continuous stress and pain, it takes many tolls on ur health.
    Herniated T6-7, multiple herniations in cervical, tears in T5-T8. Stenois at levels and smorls nodes from thoracic thru lumbar
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 02/22/2014 - 10:22 PM
    Anelsen wish this was just a bad dream as well.

I saw a doco on dreams ages ago and a theory is that it is our minds trying to put events together in our subconscious that have happened. I know when I am hot, in temperature, I have vivid nightmares and dreams. Someone once told me that you have more vivid dreams if you are hot so I usually throw off the doona. So I guess if you are in pain your subconscious mind must try to put it together while you dream.

I think we all dream every night, it's only sometimes we remember them. I have woken up in tears while dreaming too like Tony and that is scary - like my dream is real even when I've woken up.

But I've also dreamt things that have happened later - I dreamt really vividly for consecutive nights my ex partner getting killed - so I called him. He ended up getting shot 5 times in PNG a few weeks later. Wasn't killed but all the other guys were except him and one other person. Sometimes if I dream I take notice because of other vivd dreams I've had that have happened.

But I had those dreams before my accident as well. Our mind is incredible. Has anyone else had premonitions in dreams?

As Jon said it's probably all the meds as well.

I guess the opioids we are on are the ones a lot of poets, artists and writers used. I think Sherlock Holmes was supposed to have opium in his pipe. A lot of them wrote about their vivid dreams in poetry. Opium dens were prolific in the 1800's and remember Britain fought the Opium wars so they could keep trading opium in China. It was China who didn't want the Opium trade. Strange how history has changed our outlook on narcotics - the west fought wars to keep the opium trade going.

I do have good dreams as well like being in Hawaii with a young beautiful guy. Just joking.
  • Night time and sleep is my worse so this dream was great.
    I dreamt that I was on a surgery table and they were putting tubes in my back.
    There was a sound of sucking in my back it felt good. The thing is
    I looked over at the table where they put the tubes, they were filled with
    a thick brown substance. Yuck !!!
    Too bad I could not stay there with the feeling wish I could get it again.
    We all know the brain has so many possibilities some
    day they will I hope learn how to use it to relieve pain instead of create it.
    If that makes sense you know what I mean.
    Have as great as day as possible my friends.
  • wenlaw99wwenlaw99 Posts: 17
    edited 02/26/2014 - 9:01 PM
    My husband tells me i cry in my sleep with tears and everything. I didn't believe him so he videos me one night. I was shocked)
    W. Logan
  • I had a pain dream a few weeks ago. My normal everyday pain runs between a 5-7. I can get it down to a 3 with medication. The dream was back pain, but in a different place, lower back. I woke up and still felt the pain for a few minutes, I guess once I was fully awake it was gone and has not returned.
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 03/01/2014 - 8:09 AM
    been awakened because of pain, and dreamt of the pain being an animal that was attacking me....
  • I try to walk and my legs just dont move, its dark, city, snowy
    I feel the bone saw cutting into my back
    I was awake during part of my disc/laminectomy, i quizzed doc on conversation i overheard while he was sawing away,
    They discussed cars.
    Those nights i wake up in a cold sweat.
    I work with a psychologist on PTSD.
    I try to dream of my idol Bugs Bunny.
    Do not demand accomplishment from those with no talent.
  • I do that fairly often, and usually I wake up on my stomach, which really hurts my back, so I think the pain is real and is waking me up. I am now sleeping with a pillow between my knees which prevents me from rolling to my stomach.
    Lumbar laminectomy L-4/L-5, 2006
    XLIF with posterior pedicle screws L-4/L-5, 4-23-2013
  • I dream of being in pain all the time.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    edited 03/10/2014 - 6:05 PM
    can be very morbid.
    But oh so often, I have wakened up during the night because of pain. Sometimes, I only wish it was a better dream
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com