Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fentanyl patch and other pain meds

I am three days post open discectomy and laminectomy on L4 and L5.
I am ready for a pain pill before the time I am supposed to take it. I was given
Oxycodone to take every 4 to 6 hours, and also a Fentanyl Transdermal patch.
Does anyone have experience with the Fentanyl patch? Is it used in addition to the
Oxycodone? Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• These medications are sometimes used in combination but you need to find out if that is what your doctor intended you to do. If they were not intended to be used together, using them both may be too much medication for your body. It could cause an overdose. Call your doctor and do not use the meds together until you are sure you are supposed to.
  • markdmmarkd Posts: 1
    edited 01/19/2014 - 7:18 PM
    Please, do NOT use both at once. Fentanyl is an extremely powerful narcotic. It is only to be used by someone that has been on other narcotics for an extended period of time. It is not indicated for short term or post-op pain. It is approximately 100 times stronger than morphine so please be careful. Especially with the patches. Letting someone handle a patch that isn't tolerant of narcotics can kill them. With patches, it takes a while to start to feel the effects. By then the only way to decrease the dose is in an emergency room. I'm saying all this because many people have died using fentanyl patches incorrectly. I am unfortunately a chronic pain patient. I also use fentanyl, but that is after Tylenol w/codiene, Vicodin, Percocet and Morphine. To double check what I'm saying, you can google Fentanyl and/or look it up on www.drugs.com. Good luck and once again, be careful. If you need more help you can send me a question.
  • Were you on fentanyl before the surgery? If you were not , do NOT use fentanyl along with the oxycodone. You need to follow the directions of your prescribing doctor exactly.......in fact, I would call the doctor and ask them if you are supposed to be using both medications at the same time and never , ever take your medication more often than it is prescribed. If the medication is not working well for your pain, contact your pain management doctor FIRST before taking additional medications and ask them what they want you to do.
  • I have to ask Jim, how did you stay awake?!?! That is a lot of medicine. I recently go 2 mg Fentenyl and 2 mg Versed for a procedure and that made me gaga (and really tired) for 4 hours.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • i was in the 100 mic patches and to tell the truth, the oxycontin works better for me. I use the fenatnyl lollipops for breakthrough and those with the oxy work well for me. i have been using them for about 10 years now with no complaints. the patches kept comming off with sweat and they did not work as well for pain relief.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Oh please do as they have advised you and call the Doctor they are the ones you should listen to.
    I was given 5m patch and I have used several meds prior to these. During the night I woke up with
    a Gun to my head. Thank God we keep the shells in our safe I have never done anything like that
    in my life (Blackout). Have had other black outs due to meds but that scared me. Had to go to emergency
    my breathing was shutting down and other side effects. We have to be so careful when using any and all
    meds.
    I wish you the best and take care of yourself.
    Sherri
  • I've been on 75 fenatnyl for sometime, I've never had anything like what you did! What do you mean you had a gun to your head?? That's scary! Hope your doing better :)
  • Hi
    I have reactions to a lot of medications I am such a screw up. I have
    woke up drinking jewelry cleaner, pouring a cup of coffee down in the burner,
    put a bike chain in the microwave, etc. The scary one was that gun thing I
    had put the patch on the day before and had a black out (which is doing things and
    not knowing you are) woke up with a gun to my head. It was the most horrible
    feeling in the world I worry now every time they want to try a new drug on me.
    We have our guns locked up now in a safe and I don't know the combination.
    My husband gets furious with how they constantly want to try new meds. If
    they find something that helps me then they should leave it there for the time being.
    Anyway just be careful ok and if you feel any strange things call the doctor. You
    may do fine on it we are all so different.
    Take the best care of yourself
    Hopefully you can find some sunshine today.
    Sherri
  • MSGMSG Posts: 296
    edited 03/17/2014 - 5:48 AM
    My God! How horrible! May I suggest that if you haven't already, you, your husband & anyone else who witnessed this document every detail of what you remember, they witnessed, & what meds & dosage you took prior to the incidents. I assume you told your dr about these events, get a copy of his record. I suggest this for a couple of reasons: God forbid you accidentally kill yourself during one of these episodes, the coroner is less likely to rule it a suicide with written documentation of the past bizarre reactions. You don't want to leave any doubts in your loved ones mind about whether or not you committed suicide. Also, your family will lose out on your life insurance policy if the coroner ruled it a suicide. Also, God forbid you hurt someone else; you will need this documentation for your defense. Of course police & attorneys would request your dr records, but you might be surprised to find that the record could be "lost" or "changed" if the dr thought he needed to cya.

Another reason for you to have your & your dr's documentation would be if you find a good med that works for you & you run into a problem with insurance not wanting to cover it, pharmacies refusing to fill it, etc. if they were to refuse to give you meds that work & don't cause these crazy side effects, I think they might think twice about refusing it.

I'm not sure what kind of doctor or person would do this, but had anyone ever looked at the ingriedients of all these meds to see if there is something that is common in them that could be the cause of this? I've heard of ambien causing problems like this, maybe looking at what is in that is a place to start.

I wonder if seeing a psychiatrist could help? Some of your behavior sounds like a psychotic break, maybe they would have some suggestions about what is in the meds that had caused you to have this reaction.

Finally, you are not a screw up! You are having some kind of crazy allergic reaction to some meds, & that is not your fault! I pray for you that you find the right meds to help you that don't have these awful side effects.

Susan
    Ps- I hope you are not offended by my talk of your potential death, I know some people find the topic of death morbid, but I am truly trying to offer suggestions to help you & your family.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • anisa69aanisa69 Posts: 55
    edited 03/22/2014 - 4:13 PM
    I have found since being diagnosed with the breast cancer and the yr before thyroid cancer that I lose it more whenever my husband EDITED. I will get violent towards him. I don't have any clue if it is the pain meds or the synthroid I take to regulate my hormone levels.

Post edited by Sandi for inappropriate forum language. The use of profanity is not permitted on Spine-Health forums. Please see the forum rules for more information.
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/forum-rules
    5.01 You agree not to submit or post material that is harassing, libelous, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene or otherwise objectionable in any manner or nature to forums on Spine-health.com.
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/forum-etiquette-language-it-offensive-or-not
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/inappropriate-language
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/forum-etiquette-language-it-offensive-or-not#new
    Female 44 survivor of thyroid cancer...just had two surgeries for breast cancer and chronic back pain. Live in upstate ny. On 8mg dilaudid 6 a day and 60mg morphine sulf er 2x day
  • Hope3 said:
    Hi
    I have reactions to a lot of medications I am such a screw up.... Sherri
    Sherri baby, who taught you to say: "I am such a screw up"?

Really, when a person wakes up from a medication induced black-out drinking jewelry cleaner, do you think that was a matter of choice?

Please don't beat yourself up -- chronic pain is bad enough.

:#)
  • philnoirphilnoir Posts: 52
    edited 03/22/2014 - 4:15 PM
    anisa69 said:
    I have found since being diagnosed with the breast cancer and the yr before thyroid cancer that I lose it more whenever my husband( EDITED for foul language )me of. I will get violent towards him. I don't have any clue if it is the pain meds or the synthroid I take to regulate my hormone levels.
    Anisa, the reason why you lay into your husband when you're angry may not lie in the medication. You sound like an intelligent woman -- perhaps some family counseling is in order?

Also, I noticed you're on dilaudid 8 x 6 / day. I too have been on doses this high. Have you any experience with the medication Exalgo? It's a long acting hydromorphone, that lasts 24 hours. Exalgo works nicely in balancing out your hydromorph through the day, which when taken as dilaudid, zooms right into the blood stream. I was using dilaudid 8mg every three hours for a while, and finding that I wanted to dose even more often. Exalgo helped me get that under control at 48mg/day.

Exalgo is expensive (as high as $1500/month), so you'll need insurance, but if you're covered, many believe it works better for baseline dosing than simple hydromorphone. It usually requires a prior-authorization.

I guess I'm assuming you're in America. Sorry if that doesn't apply.

Of course, I'm not a doc, and this is not medical advice. I just wish to share information.

Best wishes.
  • i had no side effects with the patch and i took 100mics along with the lollipop which at the time was 700 mics, compounded. like i said before the only issue with the patch is that it came off when i sweated and i used tape to keep it on. it was too much of a hassle and also they were about 2 grand without insurance and 4 hundred with. oxy is better for me and along with the lollipops for breakthrough. i have been on these for 13 years. we dropped the dose of the lollipops from 700 mics to now 300 mics. no problem and no side effets except for an occasional weird dream with monsters and being chased. if you can get your meds compounded. i have a list of compounding pharmacies where i live and it is a bit cheaper. when i retire in june i believe medicare won't let me use compounded but i will check in june. all of my medicare was paid for by my district so all i have to do is pay for the supplemental insurance to help out.2 months before retiring but who's counting? I AM!
    jon
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,302
    edited 03/22/2014 - 4:23 PM
    is your doctor aware of the things that you are doing while on these medications. I remember your first posts and you discussed also some other rather disturbing behavior. It is entirely possible that you are taking far too much medication , and you need to be tapered down to a more reasonable level. I understand that you are dealing with thyroid and breast cancer, but you are taking far more medication than some of us who have been dealing with multiple health issues for decades.
    It is also possible that there is some interaction between some of the medications you are on, but some of your self reported behavior is a bit alarming and would be something that I would be looking to get to the bottom of........before someone is hurt.
advertisement