Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need help

I have a injury to my t-spine and neck I just started pain management leading up to this I was seen by neurosurgeons being I'm not a candidate at this time they had me start the pain management I have been prescribed oxycodone 5/325 2 every four hours as needed now the first script the NP prescribed is only 1 every four hours as needed quantity of 60 I know it's not going to be enough since 2 every four hours and as needed was just barely cutting I did t realize the script was this few until I had it filled what should I do if/when they run out early, as it is now I kno it's only gonna last roughly 15 days

• I started out with the same thing, but mine says 1 tablet 3X a day. And I get 90 per month.

I would try to get by with 3 a day and contact whoever wrote the prescription before you run out. I take Aleve in the early morning so I can get a few hours in before I take anything. I'm up to 10/325 now with the same dosage and it barely cuts it.

Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • never and i mean never use more than is prescribed by your doctor. you will be labled as an abuser and can get kicked out of his practice. i assume you signed a pain contract. it is not up to you to adjust your dose. if you fee that it is not enough, see your doctor asap. if he does not change the dose then you must use it as directed. dosing yourself is the worse thing you can do. if you run out early, then it is a major red flag and the dr can through his contacts blackball you from pain doctors. yes this does happen and then getting treated for pain will be problematic at best.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,863
    edited 01/23/2014 - 7:46 AM
    Number 1, you never want to take more medication that what is prescribed. Even if you feel that the medication is not working. If that is the case, you must contact your doctor to discuss the problem. But never take it into your own hands.

If you continued the path to double up on the medication, you will run out before the prescribed time. If your doctor or pharmacist did not know about this, you might as well put a red sticker on your forehand and say drug seeker, because believe it in today's environment, that is what will happen.

The best course is to talk this over with your doctor. There are many circumstances that a given pain medication might not be helping. But that doesnt always mean getting a higher strength, but instead it could mean working on a mixture of various medications that are going to help you in specific ways.

Bottom line, talk this over with your doctor BEFORE HAND.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i think that not feeling the so called high of a narcotic is misdiagnosed as the meds don't work. that is not correct. you should not take narcotics for the high it can give. if you do then you are a drug seeker. all narcotics have the side effect of the body getting used to it and the so called high is not there. they are still working if your body is getting used to them. this is especially the case with the long term release meds such as oxycontin. a little bit is released at a time over a period of time and one does not feel the high. that is why people used to crunch them up and take the whole thing at once where all of the med was released at once. over 12 years with the same dose of narcotics. i don't feel them at all. it is like taking an aspirin to me but the meds still work on my pain level. if one takes narcotics for the so called high then one is a drug seeker and abuser. so never take more than prescribed.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • aksilaannaaksilaann Posts: 6
    edited 01/26/2014 - 8:43 AM
    Why do you all think an Orthopedic at my first visit would do an xray of my neck prescribe 7 day oral steroid pack (methylprednisolone) and then schedule MRI... everyone that I have spoken to (friends and family) with neck issues some chronic have NEVER been given oral steroids before? And online there is not a lot of info on oral steroids...???
  • my pain dr an neurosurgeon say that they won't do an mri after given a steroid injection. it screws up the mri results. one has to wait a couple of months. i am sure that maybe oral steroids might do the same. i am not sure buy injected steroids will screw up mri results. i have never been given oral steroids for back issues they will usually do a series of injections. this is weird. i would ask my ortho what gives?
  • I know... I am wondering if he did see something that he knew was wrong with the xray... I am getting a little anxious about the fact that when I research online (I know not the best advice) that steroids are given for a mass in the neck... I am going tomorrow to get all the results from the MRI... I was called within a couple of hours after the MRI and told I had a few issues but the main concern was a pinched nerve c3/4 and c4/5... All of this is SO new to me... Never had anything like this happen before so I am just going to have to wait... He told me NOT to take the steroids until the next day which was after the MRI but I am still wondering why I was given oral steroids... I just wish I knew what he saw in that xray :-) I am probably worrying for no reason but never having neck problems except this same thing which an urgent care doctor has told me was just muscle and tension and then this... I would have NEVER thought the pain in my neck and the headaches I have had (only 6 in the past 4 years) would have been anything "wrong" just this time I was scared because even though the pain started the same it got so bad I couldn't hardly stand it and NOTHING has ever done that to me before...
  • I take oral steroids when I'm having a pain flare up in my lower back. The doctor has established that Facet Joint Injections work great on me so the thinking is when I have a flare up in between injections, the oral steroids reduce the inflammation that temporarily has flared up.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • is correct, oral steroids are given when there is a flare up in pain, the thought process is that the pain is flared due to inflammation and swelling so that the steroids work to reduce the areas that are inflamed and reduce the pain and swelling involved.
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 01/27/2014 - 10:17 PM
    I take oral steroids a medrol pack to reduce major swelling and when I have to travel a long way has a precaution. They work well for a five or six day period and help me get through it.
    Not something you want to do on a regular basis. I can see them being used to try and get inflammation down and see if it gives any major pain relief. This can be used like a test the same has a diagnostic injection does. Can't see it skewing a MRI by much if it can at all.