Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Non Surgical Decompression and Nerve Damage

BookwormBBookworm Posts: 4
edited 01/26/2014 - 4:11 PM in New Member Introductions

Last May, I had a herniation of my right C8 nerve. The MRI also showed severe disc degeneration of C5/6 and C6/7. Long story short, I opted to try "Non Surgical Decompression" therapy at a center in Minnesota. Supposedly this therapy treats all problems of the spine, DDD, herniations, stenosis, the whole gamut.

After 35 sessions, my pain and numbness were improving, until the chiropractor prescribed an exercise video that I should do. He told me to do this 7 minute video found online. It was basically 7+ minutes of military style calisthenics - jumping jacks, push ups, running in place, planks, tricep dips, etc. Needless to say, after doing this, I reinjured myself, my symptoms became worse. I had 22 more sessions of this decompression therapy and still never regained the improvement I saw previously.

My symptoms became worse during treatment, now I have numbness in my left arm & hand and left foot. I now have muscle twitches all over my body and a low grade electrical feeling. I still have the original numbness in my right arm & hand, so this treatment did me no good. It harmed me. You can find more information about this therapy by searching NSD Method.

I had a new MRI done, and it shows no evidence of the herniation, so it must have resorbed. I always thought that if the therapy didn't work, I could always have surgery. Now, since there is no herniation, there is nothing to operate on.

The problem is I still have the original numbness and weakness in my right arm, but now there is no treatment left to pursue. Evidently, I have nerve damage now with no options.

I am very scared I will have permanent numbness and weakness in my dominant arm/hand. I am now being treated for anxiety along with all the other problems that developed.

Has anyone here has any success with damaged nerves regaining feeling and function?

• The decompression tables can not fix stenosis, stenosis is a narrowing of either the spinal canal or the foramen, the areas where the nerve roots exit between each vertebre. Unfortunately, you fell for the same old, lets' stretch you on this decompression table and it will cure you, but it's not covered by insurance so pay us several hundreds if not a few thousand dollars and it doesn't work...
    If I were you, I would consult with a board certified spine surgeon, either ortho or neuro and see what they tell you. There is some chance that if it is a nerve root that is damaged that it might improve, but there are treatment options that you would need to discuss with your surgeon, once you have found out what is causing the nerve problems.