Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Opana 40mgs ER VS OXYCOTIN 80mgs

Currently I am taking Opana 40mg ER 2 times a day w/ Percocet 10mgs/325 for break through pain for the last 6 months. I have Spinal Stenosis of the spine and a herniated disc in the L4-L5S1. My Orthopedic told me that I am a candidate now for a fusion since none of the 3 epidural injections or the radio frequency procedure did not have any effect on my pain, which is not good. I am afraid of going through w/ the surgery b/c of my age - 40yrs old and I have heard way to many stories on the surgery not being successful. The surgery I would have to have is called a laminectomy discectomy fusion w/ instrumentation. Anyone on this forum have had this type of surgery please respond to this?

I am very lucky on the side affects so far, the only side effect that I have is a very short temper on the Opanas but no bad dreams or no constipation. I think that my body is getting use to the oxymorphone & the Percocets so yesterday I went to go see my doctor and I asked if he could switch things up a bit and he offered me fentanyl patches 100mcg w/ Morphine Sulfate 15mgs 4 times a day for the break through pain. After reading lot about the side effects on the fentanyl patches I went back to my doctor to put me back on my old meds Opana & percocets..

I am trying to find a new doctor b/c he can't write for oxycotin. I know that oxymorphone is 20 times stronger then Oxyctin but I need to switch things up a bit and rotate between the two pain meds b/c I am not getting any relief.. I don't care what anyone says about how the Oxymorphine is a lot stronger then Oxycotin for me the Oxycotin works way better then the Opanas (oxymorhphone)....

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    you got that info about Opana being 20 times strong than Oxycontin.. The most I ever heard from a pharmacist and drug representative was that Opana Er 'can' be up to 1.5 times more effective than Oxycontin. But there were very clear to say, not to use the word stronger, because that has many different meanings, effective is what the end result are.

To a drug representative stronger means that the effects of the medication or going to make someone drowsy[/u], or in layman's terms loopier.

Where effective means how much does that medication [u]help relieve your pain.

There is a major difference between the two meanings.

I;ve been on both at at the same mg strength, never find much of any difference. I know there are a number of people that either love or hate Opana and the same for Oxycontin.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
    Just re-reading the amount of medication you are talking for Spinal Stenosis and herniated discs.
    Is there something else going on with y our spine.

As you start to read these forums, you will find that the level of medication you are on is basically someone who has had several surgeries, some failed and has all sorts of spinal problems.

People walk around with Stenosis and herniated discs with nothing more than OTC medicines. Thats why I asked the question. Not knowing everything about you, it just seemed very odd.
  • If I may add an opinion, if your going to have surgery soon, it might be a good idea to start tapering off of your meds and just using the absolute lowest dose that you can possibly use. The reason being is because you may have a harder time with the after-surgery pain if you don't taper. I'm not saying you have to, but some doctors do require it and just from thinking about the after surgery pain, it might be in your best interest. I would hate for you to be in more pain after surgery because of your current meds. Anyway, just something to think about. Good luck.
  • you are on a lot of medication for your condition........stenosis can be mild, moderate or severe, and I am a bit confused as to whether it is central canal stenosis or foraminal stenosis , because they are two different animals when it comes to spine surgery.
    Let me ask you a couple of other questions, such as how often you are using the breakthrough medications per day, and how long you have been at this dose?
    Normally, breakthrough medications are only supposed to be used for days when there is a significant pain flare that you can't bring under control by any other means......this means, using ice, heat , rest, topical over the counter remedies first.
    If you take your breakthrough medications with any regularity, the body simply becomes adjusted to them being in the body, and it simply raises the baseline amount of medication that you become accustomed to having, so when those days of significantly increased pain arrive, you have nothing to treat it. Your body will quickly signal that the medications are no longer working because you stop using the breakthrough meds with any regularity.
    Even if you are taking your breakthrough meds once a day, most days, this same thing occurs, so your body tells you that it is tolerance causing it but it's not.....it is too often using the breakthrough meds.
    Pain treatment is a journey, and you have to use many tools in your toolbox in order to reach the least most effective amount of medication, along with regular excercise, swimming, yoga, over the counter remedies, to reach the most effective program.
    You may want to read the link at the bottom of my post........it talks about the steps to getting treatment for chronic pain
  • I don't think it the place of any member here to say that someone is on too much medication for their condition. Pain is very individual. Someone can have severe pain from a condition that causes no pain in someone else. Also, you must take into account that the patient may have been on pain meds for a long time and have a considerable opiate tolerance. Pain medication is tailored to the patient and his/her level of pain, opiate tolerance etc. AFAIK pain meds are not selected and dosed based on the condition itself.

Regarding Opana Vs Oxycontin, Opana is twice as potent, so 80mg of Opana = 160mg of Oxycontin. People respond differently to meds. Oxycontin may just be more effective for you, personally.
    edited 01/31/2014 - 5:05 PM
    on past history and experiences we have had.

When we say that a person seems to be taking more medication than the condition they present,, that is based on information about a condition and not about the individual.

Yes, each person is different. Pain is subjective, but there are always standards for given situations..
  • I agree w Dilauro and a couple others re this poster's medication. I also know that we all respond in our own way to pain and to pain meds. I have tried opana and oxycontin and for me there is no comparing how each works w my metabolism.

In regards to your age and the condition of your back, I personally wouldn't have surgery and I'd be suspicious of any Dr willing to operate on you. Unless I missed something you are not unlike millions of people with back pain that is treatable with the right combination of phys therapy, medication, and sensible practices. Did you say what you do for a living and if you are able to work?

I'm a 51 year old female who lived with undiagnosed scoliosis my whole life. When I was 30 years old I suffered an injury that caused 3 ruptured discs. Uninsured, I lived and worked with it, untreated. By my 40s I had developed stenosis and deg disc disease. I had severe sciatica. I had two ruptured discs in my neck. I worked physical jobs my whole life. I finally had a lumbar laminectomy w fusion and cervical diskectomy at age 50. The post op meds my surgeon sent me home with amounted to much less than what you are taking for your condition. I'm curious to know what you do for a living. I know I will never be able to return to the job I've done for the past twenty years. Since surgery my whole life has changed, not for the better. My advice is to not get hooked on narcotics, to get physical therapy, practice good spine health, and see a good doctor often.