Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Foot still weak,numb,tingling and burning after 4 weeks post op Normal or reherniation?

labznyangllabznyang Posts: 12
edited 02/01/2014 - 10:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
January 07 2014 i had my l4-l5 microdiscectomy because of drop foot and progressive L leg weakness and R foot is starting to develop weakness as well,but no more back pain.The surgeon said it is necessary because of the neurologic sign and the symptom of both leg is not good to wait for long..The surgeon said it was the biggest disc he ever took... I was still having tingling and numb in L foot after surgery and when i went home i was developing cough for 2 weeks..
Im now 4 weeks post op,Ive been spending more time in bed and get up every 2-3 hours or so to walk in the treadmill for 10-15 min then go back to bed... The numbness tingling and a little pain (4-10 scale)in the butt is bothering me.. No back pain since i did not test my self yet to get up for long or sit for long.. I cant walk outside because its still very cold here in Chicago..Im scared for reherniation..It feels like almost all of us here are prone to it but i dont know what is it really to expect and will i be able to go back normal again when evry little move im scared? PLEASE share me your experience..My family is here to help me things that im not allowed to do yet like (no Bending,lifting and twisting) but emotionally and mentally they dont understand what ive been going through...They always encourage me to be positive but its not easy not to worry :(

• Jessica11JJessica11 Posts: 70
    edited 02/01/2014 - 12:36 PM
    I'm 12 weeks post-op on an L4-L5 micro disc. I still have numbness and weakness in my calf and foot. My surgeon says that because it's nerve related it can take a very long time to heal.
    Compressed Discs/DDD - L2/L3, L3/L4
    Major Herniation - L4/L5
    Bulging Disc - L5/S1
    "no healthy 24 year old's back should look like this without a major trauma"
    MicroDisc L4/L5 Nov 7, 2013
  • stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
    edited 02/01/2014 - 5:02 PM
    I am almost six months post-op from my surgery for weakness, numbness and foot drop
    But about two minths after surgery I noticed that I was stronger
    Give it time
    Your surgeon was correct, neurological symptoms like you had make surgery a must.
    I don't know if our numbness will ever go away, but we will get stronger everyday

Gee, look how much you are doing on the tread mill already! I think you are doing very well
    Great job

• I had an l4-l5 fusion on 12-30-13 for left side sponylolisthesis. Ever since a couple of weeks after surgery, I've had terrible tingling in my left foot and shin, big toe and next. Took X-Ray a couple of weeks ago and everything is still in place. Went to doc on 1-30-14 for one month checkup. Doc did strength test on left foot and didn't like results. He wants to send me for MRI on Wednesday to see if there's a blood clot or herniation pressing on l5 nerve. I feel like I'm making some progress and, after all, I'm not quite 5 wks post op. I'm 62 yrs old, so I'm not going to heal as quickly as a 21 year old. Can't decide if I want to go for the MRI (more money!) Or just wait it out.

Good luck to you!
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • oooh, the coughing was not good. No coughing or sneezing for the first 3 or 4 weeks after microdiscectomy.

I'll share my L5-S1 story with you:

After the surgery, I was in bed for 4 or 5 weeks. Tons of pain and immobilized. I really couldn't walk or do much. I thought for sure it was a failure or that I reherniated. Many bad thoughts were in my mind. Really bad ones. Long story short, it was only inflammation and swelling. After an ESI, I was pain-free and doing fine.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008