Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Butt pain

CoachCCoach Posts: 4
edited 02/04/2014 - 5:28 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have been diagnosed with DDD, Stenosis, and a mild herniations in L4 and L5. Also I have DDD and stenosis in T12 area.
I recieved a epidural injection about 18 months ago and have responded pretty well to it until about a week ago. I'm not one that goes to the doctor a lot so mild pain is just something I deal with and hardly take anything other than ibuprofen if it is a bad day or 2.
About a week ago I started having pain in my right butt area that feels like I have been punched(charlie horsed). I though maybe I had pulled a muscle or strained it at first, but it keeps getting worse, and I really feel it when I walk. When my right leg comes forward, pain radiates from my lumbar area down my right leg. Yesterday I had to drive for 4 hours and it is very much worse today. Have I re-injured something? Or is this just the shot wearing off, or both? My pain before the shot wasn't in my butt at all, is more lowerback due to the stenosis and DDD. Standing for long periods, or walking through the mall was my big problems. Now walking to the bathroom is an undertaking.

Any thoughts?
advertisement

Comments

• jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 02/04/2014 - 5:27 AM
    I can really identify with your pain in the butt and down your leg. Also not being able to stand for long and walking through the mall.

I had / have DDD, stenosis, disc herniations and osteophytes.
    I had a lumbar fusion with laminectomy for spondylolisthesis and have also had a 2 level ACDF.

I was told that my lack of tolerance to standing and walking was due to the stenosis.
    The pain from my butt and down my leg (that developed in both legs with time) was due to my sciatic nerve being compressed.

I tried to walk and do some exercises that I had been given that tended to help. Some days I just had to lie down to relieve the pain.

There is a lot of information on this site which will help you to understand your problems.

Epidural injections can really help people and I do think that it is normal that the effects of them wears off. Getting 18 months relief is probably very good. I didn't ever have them as I was past that by the time I agreed to see a spinal surgeon and needed surgery within the month.

I suggest that you contact your doctor who gave you your diagnosis and let them know about your increase in pain.

Perhaps you will be able to have another injection which will help again.
    Good luck :-)

• Thank you for the reply!

My Dr. wanted to fuse L4 and L5, but suggested that since i was only 38 at the time that I should wait. I am as active as I can be with the pain involved, but something will have to give. I am waiting on an appointment already, just wanted to see if the pain I'm describing is "normal". I am a coach so I know about muscle injuries, but this seems worse and is getting worse everyday. I am to the point that it is almost unbearable to lift my right foot to step forward and my normal back pain is twice as bad as I walk.
  • CoachCCoach Posts: 4
    edited 02/05/2014 - 3:19 AM
    After some pondering on my situation, my wife reminded me of an incident of slipping on ice. I didn't fall, but caught myself in a lunging stance about 2 days before the pain increase. I stay very active(as much as I can tolerate anyway) so I didn't really notice a change until later.
    I'm waiting for a reply from the Dr. so hopefully some relief will come soon. Today has been as painful as I have ever experienced. Being a big guy, lower back pain can really slow you down LOL