Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Long term outcome of NO FUSION posterior cervical foraminotomy

fardaaftabffardaaftab Posts: 35
edited 02/13/2014 - 2:18 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My spine surgeon recommended posterior foraminatomy for c5-c6 disc bulge. Has anyone done this surgery. How long ago? was it successful? How bad is recovery. I very much appreciate some feedback.

• I really appreciate to hear from someone who has gone through this surgery. Also wants to know the outcome of this type of surgery. this surgery called Posterior cervical micro-foraminatomy.

• I had a posterior lamindectomy fusion nov11th C3-T1 doing great feeling almost back to normal 3 months post op
    Cervical 360 ACDF C6/7-C7T1 Posterior fusion with hardware C3-T1 11/11/13
  • rpay10

I am not familiar with your surgery. and I am glad you are doing fine. But micro-foraminotomy is not fusion and need no hard wear. it is removing just the bulged part of the disc from the back of the neck. there are not many doctors do this surgery. and I am not sure if it works. as I mentioned one doctor wants to do it and two others think it is not going to work as good as fusion. thank you for your information I very much appreciate it.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 02/10/2014 - 11:16 AM
    is a lesser involved tissue damaging surgery to relieve the compression on a nerve. Foraminotomies have good outcomes , since it relieves the pressure /compression on the nerve root and allow the nerve to move freely through the foramen again.
    There is no harm in going for a minimally invasive surgery in this situation, less trauma to the rest of the muscles, tendons and ligaments in the area and removal of the problem compression.
  • Hi Sandi
    Thank you for the information. I am looking for the long term outcome of this type of surgery. I am not sure if after a while a fusion is needed or this last more than few years. I wish I could communicate with someone who has done this in past and advise me of the result.
  • Ask your doctor for a patient of his that has had the surgery.Many times doctors have people that have undergone the surgery that you can speak with. I am somewhat skeptical because they would only connect you with success stories.