Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pre and post workout diet

i just want to know one thing about your pre and post workout diet..?? what do you take before workout and after workout..??
share with us
always be loyal

• I workout in the morning first thing. I do not eat anything prior to working out unless it is a little later in the morning and then I might have a banana. I have tried creatine, nitric oxide, energy drinks, and the like and for me it is just too much hassle and expensive urine with minimal to no improvement - your mileage may vary.

I eat a fruit and protein powder smoothie within 45 minutes of my workout. This is when your body is replacing all the nutrients and you will get the most benefit from your meal.

My smoothie recipe is:
    1 sliced frozen banana
    2 scoops EAS protein powder (26 g protein)
    1/2 cup frozen fruit
    1/3 cup frozen blueberries
    1/2 cup 100% fruit juice - no sugar added

It's about 350-400 calories. For the rest of the day, I eat about 300 calories every couple hours for about 5 times a day. Of course, I splurge sometimes and eat to late other times but generally this is it. Great app Myfitnesspal for tracking food if you are into that.
    C7-T1 ACDF 12Dec2013
  • KristaBurke01KristaBurke01 Posts: 18
    edited 07/20/2014 - 11:34 PM
    zatonil said:
    i just want to know one thing about your pre and post workout diet..?? what do you take before workout and after workout..??
    share with us
    As a girl I don't want to put on weight so I just take one or two banana or milk, sometimes I make banana shake before 30 minutes of workout. After working out I eat eggs, cheese sandwich, fruit juice and beans. I eat thrice a day after breakfast all healthy things like nuts, oats, fruits etc.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Pre workout I usually try to get some protein with a 25g-30g protein bar and hydrate. Depending whether I do a lot of weight training or cardio dictates what my post workout intake is. I don't do much red meat so chicken & turkey are my meal choices along with a salad and of course hydration. Nuts and fruits are good for in between meal snacks.
  • HualaniHualani Big Ilsland HawaiiPosts: 57
    edited 04/16/2016 - 7:30 PM
    Before seeing this post by Greggva, I'd found his others-as we share the same level injury and surgical procedure/positive outlook albeit I'm older and female +6Kmiles away without snow/ice winter hassles (just rain). Currently passed 6 week post ACDF yesterday (not without problems). Im on exact same post morning work out diet and have been for YEARS.
    It is so important. 
    1 cup Protein (21g) Whey Protein Powder (110cal)
    1 whole papaya (seeds mostly removed)
    1 large or 2 small bananas
    2 ozs orange or strawberry or passion fruit juice (your choice-enough to mi powder)
    2 ice cubes
    any additional fruit I feel like (peeled apple example)

I wait until Im not sweating, have regained pulse and respiration at rest- 30-45 minutes after morning exercise
    I know replenishing and hydration post workout is really important, plus will result in good utilization by your body.
    Dont forget to drink plenty of good H2O, not overly cold.

Hope this helps.
    I continue to walk everyday minimally 1 mile except when in hospital (unmeasured & slow on IV pole).
    I waited until post 4 weeks to begin additional lower body morning routine that's mostly aerobic without weights yet.
    (squats wide & narrow, raises, pushups in soft collar w./abdominal twist, plank, reverse sumo ab lift,deep sumo wide squat & raise over head, crossover knee tucks, and back raised high leg lifts, etc ) I redesigned a simple 15 stage
    LOW IMPACT morning routine for women that can be with or without dumbells (Im still without to date).

Im looking to get my first post op recheck with NS prior to reintroducing small incremental weight use again.

I was taken out of the routine by d.v.t. post op and as it is so often life threatening I had to prioritize its treatment above all else.

Even fighting the DVT I believe low impact activity routines are important.
    NO 'pre Workout diet" for morning routine.
    P.S. Added:
     ..I recently read an article about avoiding D.O.M.S. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Without weights, we are post surg, 
    and muscles release hormones and create possible inflammation and discomfort. this can be 24-48hrs post workout.
    I read drinking coffee or tea with caffeine prior to workout may prevent DOMS- do your own research and your results may vary.

Life is too short to be serious all the time.
    so if you cant laugh at yourself, contact me
    I'll laugh at you. B)
This discussion has been closed.