Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The second surgery tightened things down didn't do anything for the pain

My NS was 80% sure this second surgery would take care of the pain but I was 90% sure it wouldn't even though it had to be done. The area was too unstable. I didn't have pain while I as in the brace but once I could get back to life as normal it all came back. I can only assume that maybe there's nerves involved some how that they didn't or couldn't see. I don't know what to do next :(
ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013

• Annie if a brace helps and you don't get pain while you wear it, your pain could be mechanical like mine. I went to a sports physio who aligned my spine and shoulder into the correct mechanical position.

It is still taped into place after 6 months but it has been out for at least 8 years so if I'm not taped my muscles just spasm it out again. When my spine and shoulder are sitting in the right place my pain is so much better I can't believe it.

She can't keep taping it forever so I am thinking of getting a thoracic brace from the shop that advertises on this site. My spine is still unstable so am hoping if I get the right brace that will hold it in place where the tape is now it might be a solution.

I will do anything not to have the excruciating pain back - it's not the kind of pain that I can forget - I am terrified of it going out again.

I don't care what I look like - no pain after 8 years of having enough pain to want to jump off a bridge everyday is a miracle. I also have to bend in one direction only, as if I forget my spine pops out again. A sports physio who touched me and worked out which vertebrae was out of place, incidently it was not the damaged vertebra causing the pain but the one above trying to take over from the damaged one below, She pushes on my ribs and my spine to move it back in and immediately made my pain less.

If my T4 is only out a tiny bit, probably only an eighth of an inch, the vertebrae must press on my nerves and spinal cord and the delibitating pain comes back. I use a physio rubber wedge against a wall to push it back in when I can if my muscles aren't too tight.
  • I didn't know how to describe it other than saying it was caused my normal life movements. THANK YOU for the proper term. I don't want to have to wear a brace all the time. I'd think there would be something that could be done rather than life in a back brace. It just limited my ability to do normal things. So now I have to wonder whether to go back to my NS, pain management (which wasn't working anymore anyway) or what. Were your pains typical of sciatica? Mine all are.
    ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
    L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 02/17/2014 - 1:42 AM
    No I have an 80% wedge crush to my thoracic spine at t5 caused by a motorbike accident where i came off in a weird position with the pressure from the road going up the right side of my spine and crushing my thoracic vertebrae as well as lots of other damage, broken ankle, busted ribs, damaged scapula and damage caused by smashing my right shoulder into the road and then rolling down a mountain. Should have seem my helmet , thank god for full face helmets as would have got brain damage as well. I am really lucky to be walking.

As mine is thoracic the risks outweigh the gains so they won't operate. Too long a story to go into here. But if I had to wear a brace for the rest of my life i would gladly if it helped with the pain and helped me function. If you keep weraing it a while longer your body might get used to being in the correct position. Mine was out for so long tha my physio is trying to train my body to keep it in the correct position so maybe if you were it a bit longer your body will get used to being in the correct position and will heal in a good place so you won't need the brace.

I was not braced as at the time they didn't brace thoracic but one surgeon went off his brain because they did not brace me at the start so mine has healed in a really bad way. Maybe keep the brace on for a while longer until you are sure it has healed - u don't want 8 years of excruciating pain like me.

If you broke your arm you wouldn't rip the plaster off before it had healed, your spine is much more sensitive. You have been given a second chance, if it doesn't heal in the correct position the pain never goes away. Once it's healed properly you should be able to throw the brace away. Take things easy. it just takes time.