Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please help cervical fusion C5-7

StewardessSStewardess Posts: 1
edited 02/16/2014 - 3:43 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm a flight attendant for a well know carrier. Aside from
Being thrown in turbulence a year ago and them doing nothing more but getting me some massages and physical therapy it got worse. Im fighting w them to re open my workers comp case......that aside here's my fear.
I was diagnosed w 2 herniated discs and one missing disc, severe spinal compression myelopathic, radicuopathy and DDD. Found this out last week and they already want me to have surgery on the 24th because they said there's a bone spur next to my spinal column that could sever it.
I'm still out there busting my butt. My question is how long will it take before I can go back to work with no restrictions on activities such as pushing pulling moving things and have to lift. I have to be able to lift at least 50 pounds to be considered qualified for the position. I'm a single mom to 5 I can't be out long. Is this something that can be ignored and I can deal with any year from now? I know it sounds stupid but I'm in no position to not be getting a paycheck and fighting the company for workers comp is killing me right now. Any of you who have a job that requires manual labor and lifting how long did it take for you to go back?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions and help you navigate the site

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Spine-Health Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Doctor Advice Health Center The Resource tab, has many important features. You can browse various doctor advice on given spinal situations, you can browse clinical trials and view a comprehensive glossary..
    Health Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • susabellssusabell Posts: 238
    edited 02/17/2014 - 9:02 AM
    I would be concerned about the bone spur that is near your spine. I've had 2 neck surgeries and we are all different when it comes to healing. Also depends on the surgeons skills. Please keep us posted as this is a superb site for information Good Luck to you and I hope you find some pain relief sooner than later. Spine pain can be debilitating.
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • Tired of the painTTired of the pain Posts: 197
    edited 02/18/2014 - 2:42 PM
    Surgery is no magic bullet. I had the same surgery in Jan 2011. Removed the disks c5/6 and c6/7, replaced with cadaver bone and plates and screws, fusion of the two levels. The fusion was a success, but the surgery failed. Two years later I am still dealing with pain. chronic terrible pain radiating down my left arm and my right shoulder. I cannot lift more than 5-10 lbs. I still search for answers. One mistake was not having an EMG. If they had done that before I would have known that I had permanent nerve damage at the root at C6/7. So although the surgery was successful, the pain continues. I have known people who have had great results and been back to work within 6 weeks, but I don't think you will be lifting 50 lbs. that is actually how I blew my disks out. My suggestion, make sure you have an EMG
  • I can't believe you are doing it now. As "Tired of Pain" said, surgery is no magic bullet and the time you are out is all up to how quickly you can recover. They made me go thru so much before finally allowing me to have my first surgery. Chiro, injections, meds, PT.... Just made everything worse. I will never be pain free. I have been living with this for 8 years already and after 4 surgeries, I still live in pain. If the doctor says you must have the surgery, I highly recommend you do. You do not want permanent nerve damage. I woke up from one surgery and was unable to move or use my right hand at all. That can happen to you! Luckily they were able to go back in and fix it. You probably should contact a lawyer if your company is giving you problems with this. Good luck on the 24th. Think positive!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
    edited 02/19/2014 - 8:52 AM
    But as far as post surgery.

Cervical surgeries generally have less restrictions and limitations than lumbar does. But 50lbs is way over any comprehensible weight for cervical, thoracic, lumbar or any spinal surgery.

You can return to many of your duties, but not as if you did not have any surgery. Spinal surgery of any kind is a critical operations, especially when the spinal nerve root/canal is involved.

So I guess to answer you question about that weight requirement - never.

But, we are not doctors here, we have based our responses on our own personal experiences. Talk this over with your doctor, ask them about that weight requirement, see what they have to say.

I have had multiple cervical ACDF surgeries as well as multiple lumbar surgeries. My max weight has been set at 40lbs, and that is pushing it. My doctors and therapists would always like to see that max at 30llbs

For the first 6 months after surgery, that limit was 20lbs.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com